Online Edit - FCPX from FCP6

Posted by Kathleen Ryan 
Online Edit - FCPX from FCP6
August 20, 2012 10:45AM
I have a low res version of my project which was edited in FCP6. I need to move to an online edit. The project was shot (mostly) using Panasonic's P2 system (1080i 60p 1980X1060). I have the full data from P2 cards saved onto an external drive, so I can reimport as needed.

I'm tempted to use FCPX for the online edit because as I understand it works with the tapeless formats natively (yes, I know, don't change systems in the middle of the edit, but given that I'm going from offline to online it seemed a good time). I've already exported an XMF file of the lo res edit so that I can experiment with different systems. I've also played with Premiere CS6, but the conversion is driving me nuts - it's a dream at managing the P2 files natively, but replacing the offline files with online ones is a bit more cumbersome. My hope is that going between FCP versions will be a bit smooter - fully realizing that FCPX is a different animal than FCP6.

The questions are:
1. I know FCPX in theory can import old formats (thanks for that fix, Apple), but what do I need to do in the set up to make that import as trouble free as possible? Or would it be more trouble that it's worth?
2. Can FCPX handle the low-res to high-res conversion, and if so how should I set things up? (i.e. is it as easy as taking the files offline and then reconnecting them?
3. What would be the recommended settings to make best use of the P2 quality? I'm seeing conflicting information on the boards and want to have this footage really shine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kathleen Ryan
Macbook Pro (2012)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 M
Max OS X 10.7.4
Re: Online Edit - FCPX from FCP6
August 20, 2012 10:54AM
Typo - meant XML file. Ugh.
August 20, 2012 01:13PM
Probably it's not a good idea to change the horse during the race - especially if you don't know the other horse.

The questions are:
1. I know FCPX in theory can import old formats (thanks for that fix, Apple), but what do I need to do in the set up to make that import as trouble free as possible? Or would it be more trouble that it's worth?

FCPX can't import elder versions of FCP, you need a third party app: FCP2X - so no thanks to Apple, but thanks to Philip Hodgetts.
Anyway, depending on the amount of filters and metadata you added it might be a lot of work to re-asign and/or re-build them.

2. Can FCPX handle the low-res to high-res conversion, and if so how should I set things up? (i.e. is it as easy as taking the files offline and then reconnecting them?
This probably will be tedious as well.

3. What would be the recommended settings to make best use of the P2 quality? I'm seeing conflicting information on the boards and want to have this footage really shine.
With FCPX you can create Prores files or wrap the P2 files into a QT container which keeps the original codec.

-Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
August 20, 2012 01:22PM
I agree with Andreas, switching to another NLE that you don't know with it's own set of quirks and limitations is a bad idea in the middle of a project. Your task is made easier by using P2 media. P2 media is DVCPRO HD in an MXF container - you do not need to transcode it, all you need to do to get FCP to recognize it is to rewrap it to QuickTime. You can do this easily with FCP's Log and Transfer function.

(By the way, in my opinion, legacy FCP's reconnect function is superior to that of Avid, Premiere and FCPX.)

Andreas Kiel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FCPX can't import elder versions of FCP, you need
> a third party app: FCP2X - so no thanks to Apple,
> but thanks to Philip Hodgetts.

Just to clarify, Philip's tool is 7ToX:
[assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
August 21, 2012 06:11AM
Just to clarify, Philip's tool is 7ToX:

Sorry for my typo, sorry Philip.

-Andreas
August 29, 2012 10:58AM
Thanks for the responses. This helps much.
Kathleen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics