Full Harddisk and File Management

Posted by nlittrell 
Full Harddisk and File Management
January 19, 2013 12:02PM
Hi:

I posted a similar question a few months ago--and don't think i got a real response:

I've been saving/copying my FCP project and event files on my Mac harddisk in my "movies" folder. started out with a TB for storage, now i have 6 GB. most of it has been used on FCP X files. i need to migrate all these files over to external harddrives for storage.

so you get a sense of my work-flow:

when i import, i always do the following:

* copy files to final cut events folder

* create proxy media

* create optimized media

this is all being saved to my harddisk.

first off, may be an elementary question, but where do the "original" import files go--or are there original files? outside of my harddisk, they don't appear to be anywhere else.

i've been working with AVCHD a lot lately and found it necessary to both optimize and create proxy media. my projects are super laggy w/o doing this.

in terms of migrating to ext. harddrives, do i just drag and drop FCP event and project files? what about render and other folders? will FCP find them when i reopen projects?

and once i migrate, will it be ok to delete all of these files off my harddisk?

i know everything should be backed up in several places; i'm not sure how to avoid the problem i've gotten myself in w/o having a gazillion ext. harddrives. any other recommendations for a more efficient and streamlined workflow?

also, one import i did not create proxy media for--because (at that time) a near full disk. it was shot in AVCHD and the project is SUPER laggy when i work on it. i'd like to create proxy media for it, so my work flow is more efficient. FCP X says i can't do this w/o re-importing the footage. i've done a lot of work on it and i'm assuming a re-import would mean i would lose all my editing as it stands. any work-around for this? any way to "replace" my footage with the optimized media...once i get this harddisk situation straightened out!

thanks so much for your help!

nicolle
Re: Full Harddisk and File Management
January 21, 2013 03:21PM
Hi Nicolle

First Problem

Did you literally drag and drop the original files into the Events Folder.

And then Import with FCP X?

-where do the "original" import files go--or are there original files? -

It depends on what option you have selected in the import preferences window.

The very first option is “Copy Files to the events folder”

If you have this selected double check that your files are here

Movies/Final Cut Events/My Project Name/Original Media

i.e. If you are pulling in your files manually to the Event Folder and have this option clicked you are probably going to have the much of the original media twice.

This is the first thing to check!

I recently used this App to help me get to grips with my duplicated mess

[www.araxis.com]

There is a free demo version for 7 days!

If you have duplicates this is where a lot of space is going to go!

Check this and post what you find!

Second Problem

The next thing to check is if you can get your render files under control.

There is an option inside FCP X to throw out the render files.

You can always re-render!

Check out the video and see if this helps.

You might be surprised!

Repeat this process for Multiple Events and projects!

Third Problem

Is a post in and of itself!

A line has 2 Sides

[finalbug.net]
[paurray.de]
[lostsensemedia.org]
January 22, 2013 10:03AM
thanks for your response!

no i did not drag and drop media into my events folder then import. i have creating new events as needed in X and import into there. the media is sourcing from SD cards, ext. harddrives, my camera, etc.

after i do some clean-up, i guess i just need to copy the fcp event and project folders fcp set up on my harddisk over to my ext. harddrive of choice? then it's safe to delete from my computer harddisk? any other input?

nicolle
January 22, 2013 02:47PM
If you connect a new drive you could simply copy events and projects by dragging and dropping events and projects to new hard drive

Test and then delete the old versions when you are sure that the new ones are really working

You could even check out

7forX

Might be a good way to manage your events and projects

[assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com]

Also think of making an archive of old projects that you don want hanging around.

video: [youtu.be]

A line has 2 Sides

[finalbug.net]
[paurray.de]
[lostsensemedia.org]
January 23, 2013 10:47AM
thanks for the other ideas.

i need to use the ext. harddrive--i have no space left on my computer harddisk.

what to do about the project where i'm editing with non-proxy media and that is taking forever to render, etc. is there a way to re-import/replace the original footage with the original import? driving me crazy!

nicolle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics