Render using external drive?

Posted by ridethelightning 
Render using external drive?
February 09, 2013 07:08AM
Hello,

I am trying to render a video by exporting media to an external drive but I keep running out of space because FCPX insists on using my main HD to store the temporary files as it's rendering. I have around 70gigs free on my main HD. It runs out of space every single time. I understand that you cannot change the scratch disk settings in FCPX and that you instead create or move your events/projects to a different drive. I have done all of this but it will not use my external drive to store the temp files no matter what I do. I have checked the files in the Event Library and they are all pointing to the external drive. I have trashed the prefs. The only way I can render this video (it's duration is only 3:13) is if FCPX will use my external drive to render with. I have removed all that I can from my main HD to make space but it just is not enough.

Do any of you know how to set this up so FCPX will not render using my main HD?

Thank you in advance.

-RTL
Re: Render using external drive?
February 26, 2013 02:09AM
Hi RTL

Frankly I find your post confusing!

Q1 How are you exporting to an external drive?

Are you using the FCP media manager?

Q2 What have you moved the Project or the Event or both?

From reading your post I am guessing that you have only moved the project and not the Event.

The project is in a sense a child of the Event.

Files in the project will always reference back to the Event where they came from....

A line has 2 Sides

[finalbug.net]
[paurray.de]
[lostsensemedia.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics