Interesting things said about FCPX and NAB

Posted by craig seeman 
Interesting things said about FCPX and NAB
April 14, 2013 12:26PM
FCPX and NAB.
Probably best to make it a single topic with branches so this is the parent.
NAB and NLEs from Oliver Peters
April 14, 2013 12:28PM
NAB and NLEs from Oliver Peters.
He's one of those "rare" professional editors who uses FCPX as well as other NLEs in his freelance work.

[digitalfilms.wordpress.com]

...they were showing the XAVC integration in an area of the Sony booth. FCP X was well-represented as part of other displays all over the floor. An interesting metric I noticed, was that all press covering the show on video, were cutting their reports on laptops using FCP X.
Apple press briefing and personal opinions on FCPX from Ben Balser
April 14, 2013 12:33PM
[www.fcproxuniversity.com]

He draws some conclusions some would find controversial or, at least, bold.

My take is that FCP X with Resolve and Cantemo will be the dominant combo in the very near future.

and

FCP X is powerful, it is here to stay, and it will be the dominant player 7 was. That is not a rumor, that is not the mindless ranting of a fanboy, that is not wishful thinking, that is the cold, hard fact, dear readers.
Adobe on the FCPX attack says Ben Balser
April 14, 2013 12:38PM
[www.fcproxuniversity.com]

I haven't heard any other reports like this either in the "blogoshpere" or especially in social media like Twitter. I do wonder whether product comparisons were made that might have appeared a bit "rough." Apparently something Adobe said in their presentation which referred to FCPX and hit a nerve. Someone there or someone who spotted any social media around this might want to comment.
Re: Adobe on the FCPX attack says Ben Balser
April 14, 2013 12:44PM
Ben has "strong opinions" so I'm not sure he's a reliable reporter on this sort of thing.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 14, 2013 12:55PM
None of it addresses the loss in confidence. I still haven't seen anything that would convince me that Apple wouldn't drop FCPX with no warning, as with FCP7. Everybody thought FCP7 was "here to stay", as well.

www.derekmok.com
April 14, 2013 01:10PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> None of it addresses the loss in confidence. I
> still haven't seen anything that would convince me
> that Apple wouldn't drop FCPX with no warning, as
> with FCP7. Everybody thought FCP7 was "here to
> stay", as well.

I always find the NAB Show Floor a good barometer for where the industry is. No question Adobe Premiere Pro was everywhere this year. In most cases, folks were running the NAB announced Beta version of CS Next. In some places Avid was also being shown. I have to be honest and say that the AJA Booth is the only place I actually saw FCPX running. I'm sure it was running elsewhere, but I didn't see it and of course Apple was essentially missing from the event shortly after being rather public about their re-focus to "win back the professional community." NAB would have been a fantastic first step for that.

No need for a booth, I fully understand not wanting to have a booth, but put the product and your personnel in a series of partner booths. AJA, Blackmagic, every storage manufacturer, SuperMeet, Media Motion Ball, etc.... At least make your presence known and where people can go to see the product and actually talk to the designers. I did meet two very enthusiastic post production facility owners who have switch to X and love the workflow. That's awesome, it's working for them.

For me, the ability to actually talk to Avid, Adobe and Autodesk and have them actually listening to what we want instead of dictating this is what you will like, that's been a HUGE part of our change to Adobe. CS Next ran down about 85% of my checklist for "please address these issues." Avid even added new features specifically based on our requests in Media Composer 7. Autodesk is very serious about making the editor what the professional community wants.

This openness and outreach to the professional post community is how you win them back. Not playing secret, not hiding from a professional convention. X is definitely improving, but I have no confidence Apple will keep it running beyond a few more years because they honestly don't need it to. Avid, Autodesk, Adobe and others who develop NLEs NEED their products to continue to do well in order to survive. The tool isn't necessarily the issue with X, it's the confidence in knowing the product is even going to be around long term that's the problem as I see it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
April 14, 2013 01:14PM
derekmok Wrote:
> None of it addresses the loss in confidence. I
> still haven't seen anything that would convince me
> that Apple wouldn't drop FCPX with no warning, as
> with FCP7. Everybody thought FCP7 was "here to
> stay", as well.

As someone who had facility level responsibility over a decade ago when Avid nearly pulled out of the Mac market, I have no confidence in any company. Granted they backtracked (fortunately) but in many respects that was far more frightening given the lack of alternatives at the time.

I also had a number of Discreet Edit* users cry on my shoulder when that was ended.

There's a long history of companies doing things like this to one extent or another. I personally have no confidence in any company. I look at ROI knowing that one has to think about the ability to move when the time comes and the shorter the ROI cycle the better one can handle that.
April 14, 2013 01:19PM
Walter, Oliver Peter stated.

... For example, they were showing the XAVC integration in an area of the Sony booth. FCP X was well-represented as part of other displays all over the floor.

Were there two NABs? Were some people seeing it and others not? Granted NAB is huge but I've certainly seen other reports of FCPX visibility in a number of third party booths. I certainly consider Oliver's assessment credible.
April 14, 2013 01:32PM
For me the big question isn't the future of FCPX, it's the future of the Mac. Will there be a new Mac Pro? If so, will it be one we actually want to buy?

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 14, 2013 02:13PM
craig seeman Wrote:
> Walter, Oliver Peter stated.
>
> ... For example, they were showing the XAVC
> integration in an area of the Sony booth. FCP X
> was well-represented as part of other displays all
> over the floor.
>
> Were there two NABs? Were some people seeing it
> and others not? Granted NAB is huge but I've
> certainly seen other reports of FCPX visibility in
> a number of third party booths. I certainly
> consider Oliver's assessment credible.

I would love to know where else it was. I saw it in the AJA booth. Oliver saw it in the Sony Booth which I guess was in Central Hall? I never saw the Sony booth honestly as I had no interest in anything they were showing. I saw the Canon booth which was HUGE in Central Hall.

I didn't way it wasn't anywhere on the show floor, but in my walks all around South Hall, which is where Post Production basically lives, AJA was the only obvious place I saw it. I know you love the product Craig and you're very touchy about other people not using it, but I'm just saying what I saw. AJA Booth and that was it. If anyone else in South Hall had it running, it wasn't obvious.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
April 14, 2013 02:17PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
> For me the big question isn't the future of FCPX,
> it's the future of the Mac. Will there be a new
> Mac Pro? If so, will it be one we actually want to
> buy?

It was starting to sound like this coming week we might hear something.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
One quote that caught my attention
April 14, 2013 02:48PM
"...all press covering the show on video, were cutting their reports on laptops using FCP X."

Thats a pretty good niche.
April 14, 2013 06:48PM
FCP X was well-represented as part of other displays all over the floor.

Outside of Sony he doesn't mention where else but the above line might indicate it was visible in a number of locations. This has nothing to do with my perception. Again, I think Oliver isn't biased or inclined to mislead. One can only guess there was some "pattern" to where it was found or where it existed in the booths that had it on display.
April 16, 2013 10:04AM
Just to chime in, Oliver and I have been communicating off forum and quite honestly, having a good laugh about all the commotion. We both agree the industry should return to CMX with GVG 300 and Abekas A53D as a standard for all editing moving forward. smiling smiley

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
April 17, 2013 01:19AM
Or how about Resolve 10. One of the fascinating features is that it sucks in all these different edits from different NLEs. Like would that not be intriguing if you owned a production house? Have editors edit on the NLE of their choice and bring the edit into Resolve Colour Correct, tweak and get it out the door…

A line has 2 Sides

[finalbug.net]
[paurray.de]
[lostsensemedia.org]
April 17, 2013 01:22AM
At NAB I spoke to several companies that were going with an FCPX / Premiere or Premiere / Avid split among their systems. The reason was individual editor preference. It's a lot easier nowadays than it used to be.

My software:
More tools...
April 17, 2013 03:25AM
The smart " split" is FcpX / Avid. Think about it.
April 17, 2013 05:47AM
A very interesting part of the new Resolve, for me, was that it can generate a DCP.

I think that will get it into more than a few places on it's own. That feature will probably only be in the full version but if you're looking for a starting point for generating dailies and rushes that can also be your finishing point for grading and DCP generation, AND it cares little for what system you did your editing on, it's a strong contender to at least be in the room.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
April 17, 2013 09:24AM
Just to be clear, you cannot create a DCP natively but they have added the ability to export to the third-party application easyDCP ($3k+).

My software:
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics