Interesting things said about FCPX and NAB

Posted by craig seeman 
Re: Adobe on the FCPX attack says Ben Balser
April 18, 2013 02:19AM
"The smart " split" is FCPX / Avid. Think about it."

Please help me here? I do not get it...

Believe me the last thing I want to do is twist this thread into a bash your least favourite NLE thread but what are the advantages of a FCP X/AVID split?

A line has 2 Sides

[finalbug.net]
[paurray.de]
[lostsensemedia.org]
April 20, 2013 07:05AM
because it's a great complementary !

FcpX and Media Composer = the new cowboy in town with modern guns and the old sheriff.

not the usual way of thinking thou... that's why it's so appealing

Fcp7 is dead ... ok
Première ? why would I bother ? not different enough from Avid.

If a need rock solid collaborative solution for huge projects there goes Avid interplay (" Adobe anywhere" is an internet joke for video, good for stills, not for us)

for all the everyday solo jobs : here goes the smart innovative Fcp X, the way of the future.
April 23, 2013 10:55AM
>"Adobe anywhere" is an internet joke for video, good for stills, not for us

Adobe Anywhere is for collaborative editing, but it's in a VERY early stage and it only runs on server hardware at the moment so I won't expect high adoption. But it has interesting features like how it resolves conflicts on an item level rather than use a check in/check out process.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 23, 2013 11:07AM
>Were there two NABs? Were some people seeing it and others not? Granted NAB is huge but I've certainly seen other reports of FCPX visibility in
>a number of third party booths. I certainly consider Oliver's assessment credible.

I guess I was mainly in the South Lower hall where all the post stuff was. Nope. I didn't catch a glimpse of FCPX. I only heard about FCPX at NAB because Shane Ross tweeted that someone was showing XAVC integration in FCPX. But that probably wasn't in the post production pit or I may have missed it. I did stop by CatDV, and they were talking about integration with Premiere and they have been working on Avid integration.

Adobe drew huge crowds every day. BMD too, or maybe because BMD was situated right at the entrance. But yea, the pocket camera was huge, and the Resolve 10 will be a new thing to learn again. Nothing happened with the Cintel acquisition, at least it wasn't shown at NAB.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 23, 2013 11:15AM
Francois Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
(" Adobe
> anywhere" is an internet joke for video, good for
> stills, not for us)

Adobe Anywhere has been in use for several years now by some major broadcasters as a test bed. Photographers in the field and editors in house working together in realtime. I assure you it's no joke.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
April 23, 2013 11:19AM
paurray Wrote:
> Or how about Resolve 10. One of the fascinating
> features is that it sucks in all these different
> edits from different NLEs. Like would that not be
> intriguing if you owned a production house? Have
> editors edit on the NLE of their choice and bring
> the edit into Resolve Colour Correct, tweak and
> get it out the door…

Resolve 10 is VERY VERY interesting. I spent 15 minutes talking to Michael Sandness about that at the BMD booth and it's a very interesting tool. I was completely surprised at how much is already included in a v1 of the tool.

I love the idea of being able to make true changes in the tool after the edit is "locked" which of course as we all know they're never locked anymore. Graphics support seems to be the weak link at the moment, but again, it's v1.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
Re: Interesting things said about FCPX and NAB
April 23, 2013 07:24PM
Adobe Anywhere looks really interesting - especially the way you access the media. I was a bit worried about internet speeds impeding the workflow, but it looks like that won't be an issue. Actually, even if it was it wouldn't be too bad here in Oz once the NBN gets connected. I've been working with a very large ISP these past few weeks and they sad the first guy they connected downloaded his 600GB quota in three days.

April 24, 2013 06:00AM
ok Adobe Anywhere itself is not a joke, but work HD video files through the net ? Please.
April 24, 2013 06:10AM
I don't think you quite understand how it works. Adobe Anywhere is something you setup on a local server so no massive uncompressed files need to be uploaded anywhere and you can just use your regular in-house storage. It then encodes H.264 on the fly and delivers that to your device at a bitrate suitable for your current internet connection speed.

There are already applications that can stream H.264 on the fly to a remote device and this is just the same principle on a larger scale.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 24, 2013 09:32AM
Francois Wrote:
> ok Adobe Anywhere itself is not a joke, but work
> HD video files through the net ? Please.

Can you actually do some research on how something works before you simply dismiss it offhand. Jon just provided a pretty good explanation of how it works. You can also learn more for yourself if you go to Adobe's website.

Adobe Anywhere works in-house or via internet compressed files.

We're not saying you will be forced to use this or else, just know what you're talking about before commenting.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
April 24, 2013 10:03AM
I saw a demo of Anywhere last year and I was told it is pretty much the same thing but they got it to work.

> It then encodes H.264 on the fly and delivers that to your device at a bitrate suitable for your current internet connection speed.

I was told it was an Adobe format, at least that was what they said last year. But yea, what it does is that if you have multiple camera angles or a composition, it will render everything down to one stream that is streamable over low bandwidth. All that processing happens on the central server, so it requires server grade hardware to run at the moment.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 25, 2013 03:38AM
I am completely aware of all that. Not need to be grumpy

For the kind of jobs mentioned before will it beat an "in house" Avid Interplay ? Do you think the industry in going to switch ?

that's all I am saying.
April 25, 2013 05:03AM
Francois Wrote:
> I am completely aware of all that. Not need to be
> grumpy
>
> For the kind of jobs mentioned before will it
> beat an "in house" Avid Interplay ? Do you think
> the industry in going to switch ?
>
> that's all I am saying.

When people say "It's a joke" or "Do HD... please" I'm just replying in kind.

Interplay is a wholly different project than Anywhere and serves a completely different function, beyond comparing apples and oranges.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
April 26, 2013 10:41PM
I honestly dont expect Anywhere to infiltrate indie production houses. Not on this release anyway. But when they make the hardware more scalable with better cloud integration, it just might!

www.strypesinpost.com
April 27, 2013 07:26AM
Depends on if they are collaborating with others outside their companies. completely independent, one / two man shops that never go outside probably won't.

I'm trying to figure out how I can make this work to utilize folks I've always wanted to work with such as Shane Ross. This might finally allow us to work together in a very easy workflow.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
April 29, 2013 07:03AM
walterbiscardi Wrote:

> Interplay is a wholly different project than
> Anywhere and serves a completely different
> function ...

great, so it doesn't serve collaborative editing ...

>I'm trying to figure out how I can make this work to utilize folks

Great, again. Figure how to make it work and come back smiling smiley

in the meantime stop patronizing
April 29, 2013 08:42AM
Francois Wrote:
> walterbiscardi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > Interplay is a wholly different project than
> > Anywhere and serves a completely different
> > function ...
>
> great, so it doesn't serve collaborative editing

Interplay is more designed for an enterprise level, not simple collaboration like Adobe Anywhere.

>
> >I'm trying to figure out how I can make this work
> to utilize folks
>
> Great, again. Figure how to make it work and come
> back smiling smiley
>
> in the meantime stop patronizing

When you stop making assumptions without research, I'll stop responding.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics