Taking first steps in FCPX; a q. about where to place Events and Sequences

Posted by Kit L 
Taking first steps in FCPX; a q. about where to place Events and Sequences
November 11, 2013 08:25PM
Hello all,

A voice from the past.

System: quad-core 15" MBP, i7, 8GB RAM, SSD and Thunderbolt mirrored RAID, and second Thunderbolt drive.

After working my way through much of Steve Martin's tutorials, and reading some blog posts by Larry Jordan, and just about to start a project that will have ~50 sequences that will be output as separate videos for an ePub, my question is this:

Is it desirable to have Events and hence media on the RAID, and the Sequences on the second thunderbolt drive and back these up from time to time? Or is there a better way?

If there's a tutorial here that covers this, just point me to it; I want to get going as problem-free as I can. My main reason for moving over to FCPX is simply that all footage from my video cameras needs transcoding in FCP7 and when on the road, that's a PITA. As well, the AVCHD codec appears on the card as a single PRIVATE folder, so (assuming ClipWrap) no easy way (that I know, anyway) of only transcoding wanted clips.

All suggestions gratefully received.
Re: Taking first steps in FCPX; a q. about where to place Events and Sequences
November 11, 2013 10:04PM
Use your thunderbolt mirrored raid to put the Events and Project folders on. As far Sequences. They don't use the term Sequence anymore. You create Projects in FCPX. They are stored in your Project folder. It's part of the Events and Project folders.

You first create an Event, then bring in your media into that Event. Then create a Project. You choose what Event it should go with. It's a screwy way of doing things and it takes some time to rap your head around it.

Checkout this video:

November 11, 2013 10:09PM
Thanks Russ,

I was thinking "Project" and wrote "Sequences"... Projects is what I meant. I will watch both videos, too. Cheers, KL
November 11, 2013 10:15PM
OK: you linked to the same video twice to make sure I got it? I got it! Thanks, KL
November 11, 2013 10:43PM
Not sure why the video showed up twice. But they are the same ones. I'll try to fix it.
November 11, 2013 10:58PM
Nah: leave them both there: emphasis! Cheers, KL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics