Re-capture tape clips in high rez from FCP 7 original project into X.

Posted by Nusmata1 
Re-capture tape clips in high rez from FCP 7 original project into X.
January 29, 2014 09:43PM
New to X. Had a project almost complete in 7. Then the HD went south (after corrupting the FCP7 app). Got a new drive and Mavericks and FCP X. Got the project imported - thanks to 7 to 10. Now I'd like to re-capture the original footage (with big handles) and replace all the clips in the time line. Is there a painless way of doing this?

Running OS 10.9.1, on a 2GHx Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM into FCP 10.0.6
Re: Re-capture tape clips in high rez from FCP 7 original project into X.
January 30, 2014 05:10PM
There is no wait to do what you want in FCPX. It has no machine control capabilities, other than the most rudimentary manual control.

All the best,

Tom
January 30, 2014 07:48PM
Tom -

Thanks for chiming in! Are you saying you cannot get FCPX to honor timecode In-Outs from an FCP7 project, perhaps brought in using Intelligent Assistant's FCP7toX utility (or the same function now rolled into FCPX)?

Related question- suppose for storage savings you transcode card footage to ProRes422 LT or Proxy and then want to uprez for deliverables. That's do-able, is it not?

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
January 31, 2014 12:38AM
FCPX will not capture from tape with machine control to access specific timecode destinations. There is no such functionality built into the application.

Low res media converted externally to save drive space cannot be reimported at full resolution from a card. Again there is no facility for that built into the application. Proxy media can be generated by the application for playback purposes. Changing from proxy to full res is simply a setting switch. There is no re-import process. The application does not work with the traditional offline-online, two-step, import-reimport process.

All the best,

Tom
January 31, 2014 11:55AM
Not the message I wanted to hear, but thanks. So is my only choice is to start a new "event" with the original footage to set the best parameters, then reassemble manually by flipping back and forth between old and new events, copying the in and out points? Good thing its only a 5 minute piece.

Is it possible to generate a simple text EDL? That would make life a little easier. I tried exporting an extended view XML and opening that, but all it did was to open another "event" same as the original.
February 01, 2014 01:23AM
get the project into FCP7 some how and do your re-capture there.

nick
February 01, 2014 06:48AM
Do you have or can you you get an XML out of FCP7? Premiere will probably recognise it, and there's also a free trial of that.

February 05, 2014 04:29PM
Thanks Nick, I'll boot the old system and FCP 7, re-import, export the XML, boot OS 10.9, import it into FCP with 7 to 10. Too bad the [reimport from Camera...] function in X just doesn't work if there's already an intact file already there. My workaround is to copy In and out points and do fresh Media imports, then manually line them up.
I suppose there's no match frame function left either.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics