audio sync problem on long capture. DV tape

Posted by Bret Latter 
audio sync problem on long capture. DV tape
October 04, 2014 07:27PM
I have used final cut 5, 6, and 7 now for a few years. Have purchased fcpX awhile back and have been using/learning it for a bit. Really like the speed of it. I have one problem I have not found a cure for yet. Capturing long clips, say an hour long, form a dv camera or deck and keeping the audio and video in sync. I watch it as it captures and the audio sync seems to be fine with the video on capture but after it's done capturing I place the long clip on the time line and it starts out ok but after 10 or so minutes it is starting to not be in sync. And the further it plays into the clip the farther the audio goes out of sync.
I have searched here and other places for solutions with no luck. Any one able to help I would appreciate it.

MacBook Air 1.3GHz Core i5, 4GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, OSX ver. 10.9.5.
I am trying to capture to GTech firewire800 Hard drive via thunderbolt port with thunderbolt firewire adapter.
Cable comes from notebook to hard drive then hard drive to camera or deck.

I know dv is old stuff but there is a reason for using it over high def. Any help? Thanks.
Re: audio sync problem on long capture. DV tape
October 04, 2014 07:57PM
> I watch it as it captures and the audio sync seems to be fine

That's not useful. That only means the audio on the tape is in sync, because at that point you're not listening to the captured clip, you're listening to the playback from the tape. But that's a relief, means the problem is not with the master footage.

> but after it's done capturing I place the long clip on the time line and it starts out ok but after 10 or so minutes it is starting to not be in sync.

Play the clip in QuickTime Player and see if it's in sync. If the sync drift is still there, that almost certainly means the captured clip is also drifting. You can try using QuickTime Player Pro to chop up the clip into smaller chunks and then saving them as self-contained QuickTime movies, but it's rare that this would solve the issue.

Capturing hour-long clips from DV via FireWire was always a luxury, never the most reliable of approaches. If the problem is in the clip, you need to relog the tape into smaller sections and then capture. You can always recombine them afterwards if you need. Also, you're running the pipeline through a drive -- never conducive towards capturing good clips. You should consider capturing to the internal hard drive of the laptop first.

Check your current clip at five-minute, 10-minute and 20-minute intervals. Approximate where does the drift start to become noticeable? Once you find that mark, say 15 minutes, do a test by logging the tape at half the distance (seven minutes). Capture onto the internal hard drive in seven-minute segments and then check the resulting clips.

www.derekmok.com
Re: audio sync problem on long capture. DV tape
October 05, 2014 10:11AM
Installed quicktime 7 and QT pro. Then captured 50 minutes of footage and all stayed in sync when dropped on timeline. So far so good. Thanks!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics