Erratic response from FCPX when changing title size parameters??

Posted by Ben Ged Low 
Erratic response from FCPX when changing title size parameters??
February 05, 2015 09:26AM
Posting a film with a LOT of sub-titles. Director wants to change font size on all sub-titles. I thought it was an easy fix. I highlight the sub-title text clips on the timeline, then change the font size 'parameter' in the Text Inspector. Everything hunky dory. I see my fonts a different size in the timeline (I've done this both singly and collectively with the clips).

The bug: when I export out the film as a ProRes Quicktime master ... THE TITLES ARE BACK TO THE ORIGINAL FONT SIZE.

I look at the timeline; they appear to be the size I want. So I reboot FCPX, and the titles have all reverted back to the original size (even though, when I exported out the film they were the proper size in the timeline).

I've trashed my preferences. No difference.

Anyone come across this?

This film has hundreds of title clips - a horror story to rebuild from scratch.

Save me!!
Re: Erratic response from FCPX when changing title size parameters??
February 05, 2015 11:27AM
An irritating bug.

What you might have to do is force Final Cut to transfer the change from one internal database to another. This might work if you make a small text change to the subtitle that will force the size of text to be taken into account. This would be adding a space character to the end of a title, clicking away from the title and then deleting it.

Alex

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
February 06, 2015 12:04PM
Thank you Alex,

Mmmm. Somewhere in the very back of mind I was thinking exactly that - but the number of sub-titles to do was prohibiting that little bit of information to reach my consciousness.

Very good suggestion.

One thing it might be, or might have been: I created a new project, and imported all the clips straight over to the new project. I think, don't quote me, that it fixed the issue. The final test is when I export out. I've seen the timeline absolutely perfect, and then when I create a master, the Quicktime master full of erratic font size titles.

Touch wood.

Very much appreciated,

Ben
February 08, 2015 08:33AM
This is a known bug. I (and hopefully others) reported.

There are not a lot of options to work around.
You try me X-Title tools to extract timing and text with X-Title Extractor, then use the created SRT file and X-Title Importer to import the subtitles with new settings.

- Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
February 08, 2015 02:19PM
Thank you Andreas,

Will check out your X-Title tools. Yes.

My fingers are crossed - that my 'fix' stayed fixed. I haven't tested it yet with an export out. Actually, I'm just now exporting another section of the film, where I reset all the titles: we'll see if the end result stays consistent to the ProRes master.

Will report back...
February 12, 2015 09:06AM
Am sure to check out your X-title tools Andreas. What I did for now ... was export out an XML file, brought it into a text editor, resized all the font sizes to what I want - using Search & Replace (one click); and deleted all the lines that relate to position of subtitle, which was more laborious as I had to do it line by line. I got this from Luis Sequira over on the Apple forum.

And ... I am curious about your X-title tools. I will check them out the moment this job (on a deadline) is delivered.

All the best,

Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics