Viewing in FCP 7 while typing in Word

Posted by evarita 
Viewing in FCP 7 while typing in Word
March 26, 2015 03:41PM
Is there a way to view playing video in FCP 7 while taking notes in word, without the video stopping?
thx so much.
evarita
Re: Viewing in FCP 7 while typing in Word
March 26, 2015 04:09PM
Nope. One old trick I used was to open a .txt file into FCP's Viewer, type notes there, then copy over to Word or TextEdit.

www.derekmok.com
March 26, 2015 04:16PM
Word is actually the worse thing in many similar respects.

Hypothetically, if you have a transcription and you're reading along, or maybe you've been given a paper edit and you've got your FCP and desktop windows arranged so you can see Word as you mark up and build to the edit in FCP, Word is the one program that won't let you hover over it and try to scroll the document while FCP plays. Turn that doc into a PDF and you can continue to play in FCP while scrolling down in the PDF.
All of the apps will make FCP stop if you actually activate them though, so if Derek's workaround doesn't do it for you then there are some logging software packages that allow one to open up media in a quicktime like window and log the content with TC stamps and such like. I've never used one but I am sure someone can chime in here with a suggestion.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 26, 2015 04:22PM
Thank you for your reply.
evarita
March 26, 2015 04:49PM
If you have an iPad, we have an app called Cut Notes that allows you to make notes that are synced to timecode in FCP 7:
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/cutnotes

Another way would be to use Adobe Premiere, which has an option to not pause playback when you switch away from the app.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 09, 2015 12:59PM
you can add marker in the Timeline with a keyboard stroke and write comments in the marker interface without stopping, I do it all the time.

(check the Keyboard interface for the fonction, it's oddly called ... something like "Modify colored marker " if memory serve.

then you can export the markers and... copy&paste ! (even open the exported doc in Word I guess, (in Excel I am sure)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics