Editing a documentary in FCPX 10.2.3

Posted by Lisha 
Editing a documentary in FCPX 10.2.3
August 12, 2016 07:30PM
Hello to all,

I'm about to start editing a talking heads documentary using FCPX -- first project using X. The footage was shot on cards and all the clips have the assigned camera names (MVI_1156, MVI_1157, MVI_1158, etc.,...).

I'd like to have a reference in my timeline as to what is being said in each clip. How do I go about doing this? With previous documentary projects I've created sub-clips so when I edit a clip into the timeline the description of the clip shows in the timeline. How do I accomplish this with X?

Lisha
OS 10.11.5
FCP X 10.2.3
Mac Pro
Re: Editing a documentary in FCPX 10.2.3
August 12, 2016 07:58PM
There are a number of approaches. You would replace the subclip range with a Keyword Range, where the keyword would generally be a 1-3 word summary of the story point. As you apply the ranges to different clips they'll build in the Keyword Collection for that story beat.

If you're going the path of full transcripts, the Lumberjack System's Transcription Mode (with Magic Keyword extraction) would be another approach. That provides Magic Keywords for content, plus keyword ranges for each speaker or paragraph with the transcription in the notes field (searchable). I am one of the co-developers of Lumberjack System, for the record.

Keyword ranges and Transcription in notes carry forward into the Timeline (Favorites do not) and can be reported (with another of our apps Producer's Best Friend).

Philip Hodgetts
Intelligent Assistance Software
Lumberjack System.
August 12, 2016 08:00PM
In FCPX you can rename the clips.
Rename the clips in FCPX will not have any negative impact linking back to the source clips (which can be either internal or external to the library as you see fit).
August 15, 2016 06:43PM
Hi Craig,

Thanks for responding. I have several interview clips running anywhere from 5 - 30 minutes. I'd like to break up each long clip into sub-clips, making each potential soundbite a sub-clip and naming each sub-clip.

Lisha
August 15, 2016 06:47PM
Thanks Philip,

A bit overwhelmed learning X but I guess I'll add Lumberjack to the mix. I saw you demo it with Patrick at an event in Burbank a few months ago. Sending you an email for your trial period. :-)

Lisha
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics