Mac upgrade question

Posted by MetalGuru 
Mac upgrade question
December 01, 2016 10:45AM
I'm currently working in FCP 7 on a Mac Pro (Early 2009) running OS10.6.8. I edit and encode SD and HD video for DVD and Blu-ray.

I have the option to upgrade to a new 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display. I'd probably go for the best spec I can afford.

Or... would I be better off waiting for the new iMacs to launch in 2017? I also have a lot of Firewire 400 and 800 external hard drives, ranging from 2TB to 6 TB. Will these be OK with a new iMac?

I'm rather confused about the best way forward. Would I see a significant speed improvement with a current iMac, or should I wait a few months (I'm guessing!) longer?

Thanks in advance smiling smiley
Re: Mac upgrade question
December 01, 2016 11:19AM
It depends how long you can wait, as the current version is over a year old. But I have a friend with this iMac and it's pretty fast. The problem with waiting for the next thing is that there's always a new thing coming. If you need it now, buy it now.

Current iMacs do not have FireWire ports and new iMacs will probably use USB-C, so you'd need adapters regardless of which one you chose.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
December 01, 2016 11:44AM
Thanks Jon. I'll wait until after Christmas and see if anything gets announced. But I doubt it. Any recommended adaptors?
December 01, 2016 12:47PM
Best to wait and see what ports the new one has if it's out by then. If it's just got USB-C you'll need adapters for almost everything. But for the current version I don't know if you'll need anything more than Thunderbolt to FireWire. Apple sells them for $30: [www.apple.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics