Which RAID would you buy?
January 08, 2017 12:58PM
Which 4 disk, 4TB Thunderbolt 2 RAID would you purchase?
A) Four, Sandisk 960GB SSD's, striped RAID 0, with a read/write speed of 1500/1350 or
B) Four, WD Black 1GB 2.5" HD's striped RAID 0, with a read/write speed of 550/500?

I know numbers make this an easy choice, but here is the one caveat to consider:

I am editing corporate/industrial 1080 and 4k footage, using FCPX 10.3 on a 2015, Retina 5k, 27", 4 GHz, quad core i7 iMac with 24GB of RAM.

So here's my real question, in the end, does the speed of my computer's processor negate the SSD speed I would be paying 4x the price for?

I know that the SSD's will copy and transfer files WAY faster, but, in the end, will my renders really be faster with SSD's or will the render speeds ultimately be decided by the speed of the iMac's processor speed?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Re: Which RAID would you buy?
January 25, 2017 01:27AM
A) Four, Sandisk 960GB SSD's, striped RAID 0, with a read/write speed of 1500/1350

In almost all cases the 5K iMac trounces the Mac Pro and any other Mac in speed for editing. Sorry I forgot what site I was looking at. Anyway Spinning drives in your configuration may fail and take out the whole Raid That's less likely to happen with the SSD's With the SSD config your getting almost 3X the speed. I hope this helps you.

PS I also like Sandisk Over WD.

Dean

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics