Shortcut Keys in Premiere Pro from a FCP editor's perspective

Posted by Kevin Monahan 
Shortcut Keys in Premiere Pro from a FCP editor's perspective
September 14, 2011 06:10PM
Hi Guys,
When I first came to Adobe about a year ago, I wanted to know more about using keyboard shortcuts with Premiere Pro, so I recorded a video with Karl Soule (evangelist for Premiere Pro). Check it out: Shortcut Keys in Premiere Pro from a FCP editor's perspective

More on changes to keyboard shortcuts in Premiere Pro CS5.5
More videos on Premiere Pro for FCP editors by Kevin Monahan and Karl Soule

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
Re: Shortcut Keys in Premiere Pro from a FCP editor's perspective
September 14, 2011 07:57PM
Nice work Kevin. I'm going to watch the whole series now.

September 14, 2011 08:17PM
I will add that for the moment I have all my Premiere Pro systems set up in the Final Cut Pro 7 Keyboard Shortcuts (Thank you Adobe for providing that!) as it is making the transition incredibly simple because all my memorized shortcuts pretty much work.

But as we continue to transition completely away from FCP, we'll start to implement the Adobe shortcuts. It's a nice way to ease into the software so you can use it right away, and then start to transition over to the Adobe way of doing things.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
September 14, 2011 10:13PM
I feel kind of bad not learning the Adobe keys, since I have spent years counselling Avid editors against changing the FCP ones so they could move from system to system without needing their custom key set with them. I'm sure it won't be too much like rocket surgery. It's already been a pretty simple changeover so far - just muscle memory to retrain.

September 14, 2011 10:48PM
>since I have spent years counselling Avid editors against changing the FCP ones

I actually find the Avid keys make more sense (D in FCP is for the distort tool which I use maybe once a year). I use Avid with a predominantly FCP keyboard because of muscle memory, and the fact that most of my jobs are FCP based, and when I take over a suite for 5 minutes, I don't have to load up my own custom settings. Yea, I can't use FCP without shortcuts, or Avid for that matter.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 15, 2011 01:48PM
Jude, I also counseled Avid editors to do the same! smiling smiley

It's good to switch over to the Adobe ones since they cross over a bit into After Effects-land. That being said, my FCP keyboard shortcuts do have some "mission creep" into Premiere Pro. There aren't as many permanent shortcuts as there are in FCP, so you have to assign many of them. May as well assign them to FCP shortcuts as much as possible. I do.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 16, 2011 12:42PM
Kevin -- how do you OPTION CLICK a transition point to add a transition in PP -- went to the keyboard shortcuts and you can OPTION and use a letter or number but doesn't seem to be a way to assign OPTION CLICK so it will work similar to FCP 7 --

very sad we're all jumping through hoops to find something new to replace FCP 7 as we're all convinced a future Lion or QT upgrade will break our now unsupported legacy software -- your tutorials on PP are terrific -- is anyone at Apple listening to their loyal customers fleeing?
September 16, 2011 01:25PM
Andy, there is no current way to select an edit point as you do in FCP. If you want that functionality, file a feature request: [www.adobe.com]

The way we add transitions to edits is to park the playhead on an edit point and type CMD+D. Done.

Kevin Monahan
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 17, 2011 11:54AM
Thanks Kevin - will file the request now --
September 19, 2011 12:51PM
I should correct myself. CMD+D is the keyboard shortcut I have assigned for adding transitions to a cut. You'll have to assign it in Keyboard shortcuts to have the same experience.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics