If you are considering buying CS 5.5 Production Premium. 30% off this week. Also new Adobe upgrade policy.

Posted by Russ Blaise 
Today I used my CS3 Design Premium to upgrade to the CS 5.5 Production Premium, This week only there is a 30% off all their suites. So it only cost me $664.30, plus tax and shipping. I had no other upgrade path to get just Photoshop. And I was thinking about getting PPro anyway. So this was the best deal. For me it was a better deal then the FCP to PPRO "SWITCH" deal. This was better than starting over again and paying $999.00 for one app, Photoshop. I also upgraded my InDesign from Pagemaker 6. It will be the last time anyone will be able to do that.

Here's the lowdown on Adobe's new upgrade policy:

"Amended" Info on going from CS 5.0 to CS 6. Yes you can do it as an upgrade.

You will still be able to upgrade from an individual piece of software in the future. So you can go from Photoshop 5.0 to 6.0 next year, and keep doing it upgrade after upgrade. You will only be able to upgrade from the version before. Like CS 5 to CS 6. You can't jump from CS 4.0 to CS 6.

Suites: Adobe laws of upgrading is the same with suites. And you will not be able to go from a Suite to an Individual, or an Individual to a Suite after CS 6. Right now you can't go from a Suite to an individual. But you can go from an Individual to a Suite only. Or a Suite to Suite? Did I make your head spin?? I was on the phone three times today with Adobe to make sure of everything. Doesn't mean things won't change again.
A lot of people are annoyed by this change in policy because it means that users of older versions now have to purchase CS 5.5 in the full knowledge that it's about to be replaced soon, just so that they will qualify for the upgrade pricing for CS 6.0.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
I don't blame people for being annoyed. I was pissed when I first heard it. Adobe's new upgrade policy came out of the blue without enough warning, too close to the holidays, while we are in a bad economy. With the 30% off deal. It helped me be in a better position to buy now. I'm sure there are a lot of people that just can't buy right now. Scott Kelby, President of The National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP), wrote an open letter to Adobe Systems. He makes a lot of sense:

Read the open letter to Adobe here
Good open letter,
there are other companies that need open letters too,
mainly Autodesk and Apple! <:

Russ Blaise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't blame people for being annoyed. I was
> pissed when I first heard it. Adobe's new upgrade
> policy came out of the blue without enough
> warning, too close to the holidays, while we are
> in a bad economy. With the 30% off deal. It helped
> me be in a better position to buy now. I'm sure
> there are a lot of people that just can't buy
> right now. Scott Kelby, President of The National
> Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP),
> wrote an open letter to Adobe Systems. He makes a
> lot of sense:
>
> Read the open letter to Adobe here
I like that open letter for sure.

I was miffed at hearing this as well as I don't always upgrade every version, and since the FCP market is partly Adobe's and Avid now, it just doesn't make sense that they would do ALMOST the same thing Apple did with FCPX.

I've always had both FCS and Premiere's suite so I'm no Johnny-come-lately here, but I feel like I'm getting screwed twice.
I usually plan upgrades on every other version, unless there are significant benefits in the next version. Upgrading every version makes for a very hectic troubleshooting schedule, as upgrades sometimes cause issues, more so if there are 3rd party components involved.

www.strypesinpost.com
We'll have to wait and see if you can skip the .5 version and not have to pay full price after that. They are saying you can go from CS5.0 to CS6.0 as an upgrade. I hope we can do an upgrade from CS6.0 to CS7.0
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics