Devastating issue that makes XML to Premiere worthless?

Posted by Joe Riggs 
Devastating issue that makes XML to Premiere worthless?
December 16, 2011 09:46AM
I sunk my audio in FCP using pluraleyes and linked the pristine audio with its corresponding video clip. When I XML into Premiere, the audio on the synced and linked clips revert to the camera audio.

When two clips are linked, the audio file name changes to match the clip name, and I think this is the issue. When premiere opens, it loads up all the files and since the file name on the pristine audio changes to match the clip name, it brings in the camera audio instead.

Is there a way to link the audio/video clips in FCP but retain the original file name of each?

Or is there another solution to this issue?

Thank you
Re: Devastating issue that makes XML to Premiere worthless?
December 17, 2011 05:45PM
"Is there a way to link the audio/video clips in FCP but retain the original file name of each?"

no.
could you try linking in Premiere?
December 18, 2011 11:34AM
Yeah, that is what I'm doing from now on if I know I need to go to PPro at the start of a project. Unfortunately, for older FCP projects it's simply not worth it, unless you want to re-sync.

I'm curious how Walter Biscardi is handling this as I believe he is using Ppro for his older FCP projects.
December 18, 2011 02:52PM
We don't use the plural eyes workflow since we rarely use DSLR material. If the audio filename is being changed then probably what you need to do is export the files as self contained movies after you sync them.

XML to Premiere Pro is working very well for all our older projects since it's regular QT files. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
December 18, 2011 05:19PM
but this wouldn't be specific to pluralyse?
the issue seems to be linked audio, so basically any double-system sound.

you haven't encountered that, Walter?

"for older FCP projects it's simply not worth it, unless you want to re-sync."

you could jump though some hoops to un-link all the audio in the project, or at least the timeline, and revert the clips to the original file names.
but that would be a small nightmare.

this is a rather serious drawback.
December 19, 2011 07:47AM
Nope, we have not encountered any sort of audio sync issues with projects moving from FCP to Premiere Pro.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
June 05, 2012 10:14PM
Doees anyone know if this issue has been resolved with CS6?
June 05, 2012 11:17PM
I did a test going from FCP 7 (XML) to Premiere Pro CS6. Didn't see any problems on my end.
June 07, 2012 08:18AM
Russ,

That's good to know, just to confirm you were using double system sound that was sunk in FCP?
June 07, 2012 12:45PM
Joe,

Two camera shoot. Recording audio on both cameras plus Zoom H4n. Audio from the B-roll camera was for syncing only. I sync all the audio manually (old school). Use audio from different tacks as I edit. imported the XML to CS6. All was fine. Maybe I just got lucky!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics