Voice over problems in Premier CS 5.4
March 01, 2012 08:46AM
Equipment:
New MacPro 2 X 2.93 GHz 6-Core intel Xeon
12GBs Ram
Nvidia Quadro 4000 2048 MB video card
Software 10.7.2
Video Card:  Kona 3 with 9.0.3 driver & 9.01 premier plugin
Videodrive:  7200 RPM 2 TB internal (not the system drive)  remaining space about 750 GB
Adobe CS 5.5 software
 Shute XLR to USB adapter X2U

The transition from FCP7 to Premier CS5.5 continues with great satisfaction with most of the program, but voice over is not so satisfying.
After finding out from AJA that Kona 3 does not support VO in Premier I purchased an XLR To USB adapter figuring I could open a new project and set it up for VO or setup Audition for VO using the USB input.  I made a recording in Audition which played back just fine in Audition.  Saved it and imported the file to Premier.  Opened file in viewer and the waveform looked good, but no audio.  Also when I tried to place the file on the timeline an icon I hadn't seen before appeared and the file would not stick.  Sequence incidentally is an AJA KONA 1080 29.97i setup.

On my laptop I tried doing a similar recording in Audition, but placing it in a premier XDCAM EX HQ timeline and it worked as you might expect.  Fine.

As another test on my laptop I opened FCP7, recorded a VO imported it into my main edit system, placed it on the Kona timeline and it worked fine.

I've been editing HD on a MAC since 2000 and I think I have a "clue" but clearly I'm either missing something really stupid obvious or this is something that needs to be addressed in CS 6.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?  Overall I love the program with some reservations, but I suppose that's what life is all about.

Thx...Jim Watt
Re: Voice over problems in Premier CS 5.4
March 01, 2012 06:44PM
Audio in PP CS5.5 is definitely in need of an overhaul. Are you sure your source is set up the same as your recording? There are mono tracks and stereo tracks, and you need to put stereo sources on stereo tracks.

Also, can you hear your general output in PP? Is it just the VO that's kaput, or everything?

Re: Voice over problems in Premier CS 5.4
March 04, 2012 08:56AM
Can hear regular output from both viewer and timeline. AJA called back and with their 10.1 software were able to play files I sent them. I was running 9.1 so switched to 10.1 and it seems to be working. PP does indeed have some petty obscure and quirky audio issues.

Thanks for your help. Was out shooting for a couple of days so just getting this sorted out today.

Thx...jw
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics