Premiere Pro CS6 announced

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Re: Premiere Pro CS6 announced
April 29, 2012 12:56PM
>and why it costs about $5,000 to get an nVidia SDI output card.

And a new PC. I don't remember any Quadro cards with SDI outputs being available on Mac.

This sure is interesting!

www.strypesinpost.com
April 29, 2012 01:11PM
>All Exports / Render to another coded are performed by Adobe Media Encoder. The interface pops up on top of Premiere Pro.

Not necessarily. I'm "rendering" QT movies in ProRes LT. It creates QT movies with ProRes LT files. They even have timecode tracks based on sequence timecode where I render the clips. Why Premiere cannot "read" QT timecode, trim the clips and spit out a bunch of QTs that Premiere is able to link back to, beats me.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 29, 2012 01:28PM
You need Final Cut Pro 7 or X installed in order to be able to encode to ProRes, so that may be another factor in Adobe's reluctance.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 29, 2012 07:42PM
I think the scales are tipping more towards DNxHD in this realm, since it's Avid friendly, works well on Mac and PC and does about the same thing as ProRes. Personally I'm happy with ProRes, but there are calls for a new codec that's specifically Adobe, to go with the suite. I'm in two minds about that. More codecs? Yeah, thanks.

April 30, 2012 12:13AM
For ProRes, firstly, it is quite Avid friendly in MC6 (you can consolidate it into ProRes MXF without transcoding on Macs), secondly, the decoder is already installed on any machines with QT, and thirdly, ProRes is resolution agnostic.

DNxHD on the other hand, is requires the installation of the Avid QT codec package, but of course, that is free.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 30, 2012 01:01AM
And DNxHD is supposed to be Open Source. It's sort of Open Source, whereas ProRes is owned by Apple.

Like I said, I prefer ProRes. I'm just saying the conversation seems to be swaying towards DNxHD being the codec of choice for these kind of jobs.

April 30, 2012 01:48AM
DNxHD is a proprietary Avid format. True that the cameras are starting to adopt DNxHD.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 30, 2012 01:51AM
I've seen several cameras and apps offer DNxHD support at additional cost so I would suspect there are licensing fees involved.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
April 30, 2012 01:53AM
Apparently there isn't:

Open standard: HD Codec source code is licensable free of charge
[www.avid.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
April 30, 2012 02:55AM
Yeah, it seems to be owned by Avid but be open source. So.. for now it's Open Source, I guess? That's why I said it was sort of open.

May 01, 2012 09:14AM
Ive alraeady switched to DNxHD for mastering. The less I have to deal with crApple, the better. grinning smiley
May 02, 2012 11:51PM
I just pre-ordered "Adobe Creative Suite 6 Production Premium." Estimated availability is May 7. I ordered the shrink wrap box. Sorry, not doing the cloud. I like to hold something I paid for in my hand ;-)

My immediate need is a new feature in Illustrator CS6 called, "Image Trace". I'm publishing a book, and I need to trace old maps and photos and turn them into vector art. Also Illustrator CS6 is now 64-bit.
May 03, 2012 11:05AM
It's probably quite obvious but you also need a Mac as well.
As Premeire runs on a PC as well.
But the PC version can read ProRes via Quicktime
but can not export ProRes, as Apple has
decided not to allow this feature on Windows only machines.

Jon Chappell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need Final Cut Pro 7 or X installed in order
> to be able to encode to ProRes, so that may be
> another factor in Adobe's reluctance.
May 03, 2012 03:17PM
I'm not saying specifically ProRes, but any QT format, eg. 1:1 / 10 bit Uncompressed 4:2:2 / v210, 8 bit Uncompressed, Animation, AJA 10 bit Log. In FCP, you can pretty much media manage to anything you want including mpeg4 in a QT wrapper. I don't think there is too much difference here, because when you choose to create preview files in Quicktime (and I think you can do that on a PC), it essentially does that.

Getting the software to add handles and add a timecode track to the "preview" QT movies and linking everything to a Premiere project (and subsequently xml or aaf) should only be one step away from that.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 03, 2012 07:03PM
As of today you can upgrade from any CS2 suite, to CS5.5, and get CS6 at no additional cost. Promo ends May 6th, 2012.

CS2 will no longer be upgradable on or after May 7th. That's a good sign that CS6 will be released on the 7th.
May 07, 2012 04:25PM
DNxHD is a way of avid competing with prores. Making it open source would be a good way to become a semi-standard like prores but more compatible with different platforms than prores.

In this corner the mighty prores. In this corner the up and coming challenger DNxHD.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
May 07, 2012 05:57PM
Prores is actually the new kid on the block. DNxHD is old. It's so old that it is mainly 8 bits with the exception of the formats annotated with "x", which are 10 bits. It is also not resolution agnostic.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 07, 2012 06:59PM
It's old and it's already open source. You can get the source and do what you like with it, without having to pay a licensing fee.

May 23, 2012 12:10PM
Then there's the old-man of the lot. Microsoft AVI (boo-hiss-smirk)

Jude Cotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's old and it's already open source. You can get
> the source and do what you like with it, without
> having to pay a licensing fee.
Anonymous User
July 25, 2013 04:39AM
Dose it support MXF format? I could not directly import MXF into it, I need to convert the format first. I use TransMXF to convert it to MOV, then use in Premiere Pro CS6.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics