Premiere Pro CS6 tutorials

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Premiere Pro CS6 tutorials
July 09, 2012 07:04PM
Just wanted to share these excellent PPCS6 tutorials I've been working through by Maxim Jago : [partner.video2brain.com]

Great for getting up to speed with lots of background about what all the settings do, which has been a thing for me.

Also, I'm loving on the 'History' tab in PP that looks like PS this week. How I longed for that in FCP7!

Re: Premiere Pro CS6 tutorials
July 10, 2012 12:25PM
I finally got around to using CS6 on a project. The editing tools are pretty good. Of course, then I got to audio editing, and oy vey! Audio editing in CS6 is a bit like the editing tools in CS5.5. Very clickey.

PPro also has a project manager, which I find to be quite underrated. That function lets you copy clips used in a sequence and preserves the file structures of many formats. Very useful when sending footage to an online machine that supports the numerous formats you are working with.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 10, 2012 12:30PM
Adobe really wants you to use Audition for audio editing, which I hear is quite good. We send stuff off to a ProTools artis.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
July 10, 2012 12:52PM
Audition seems pretty good. Problem is that I'm not an audio engineer, and I don't pretend to be one. During the offline edit, I mainly do rough levels and sfx to fill up the holes in the cut and make it palatable, leaving the main part of fine tuning the mix, sound design and audio sweetening to the audio engineer. So I like the edit tool to be as fast as possible in this area. I mainly use the gain controls now, but nothing beats Ctrl ] to add 3dBs to a clip. I know I can do that on the track level, but heck, I'm going to show the cut to the director who will probably want to shift stuff around, so having fast clip level adjustments help a lot.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 10, 2012 01:12PM
3 key areas that I hope Adobe beefs up in Premiere are:

- media management. An option to consolidate/ transcode a sequence, reconnection/search for media function that actually works, and an option for background copying of media to media drive, warning when there is a properties conflict, warning when you are going to delete clips from the project bins (they actually disappear from the timeline!)

- Free plugins. FCP X already trumps Premiere in this category despite being only a year old.

- Audio editing. It's not the tools. It's the speed in getting a palatable rough mix out of Premiere.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 10, 2012 02:23PM
< - Free plugins. FCP X already trumps Premiere in this category despite being only a year old. >

Aren't a lot of those free plugins now made with Motion 5?
July 10, 2012 02:53PM
Yup. You can't send Motion rigs to Premiere.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 10, 2012 03:44PM
Yeah, my point was that with this $50 program, (Motion 5), you can go wild making all the plugins under the sun for FCPX. Apple made it easy. So that could be why we are seeing a lot more plugins for it.
July 10, 2012 04:57PM
Yup. That has always been Apple's culture- to provide a platform for programmers and make programming easier and more accessible. So no surprises on that front.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 10, 2012 07:50PM
Agree re all those points, Strypes, although you can do track based audio changes slightly easier than in FCP7, the system is more complicated than it needs to be. If you're using more than 2 outputs, though, at least there is an 'adaptive' mode now that lets you assign up to 16 outputs.

I think its easiest to keep in mind that track based adjustments happen in the mixer, and clip based happen with fx or in the timeline.

But I'm using AE for complex fx now. It comes with the suite, updates in the timeline with the 'send to' function, and knocks FCPX fx out of the park.

July 10, 2012 07:53PM
Jude Cotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But I'm using AE for complex fx now. It comes with
> the suite, updates in the timeline with the 'send
> to' function, and knocks FCPX fx out of the park.

And it's very well supported by third party developers and template creators.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
July 11, 2012 07:09AM
And have a look at Video CoPilot's new Element plug-in for AE. A real milestone as far as plugins go. Not free (nor should it be), but takes things to the next level.
July 11, 2012 05:27PM
I was thinking of quick drag and drop effects for the offline cut. Stuff like film flash, directional blur, blow out transitions, bad TV effect, etc...

The Element plugin is really cool. Yea, it most definitely takes things to a new level!

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics