FCP 7 vs Premiere Pro comparisons

Posted by Nick Baer 
July 21, 2012 12:38PM
I'm curious if users have compiled a list of comparisons / work arounds between FCP 7 and Premiere Pro?

e.g. In FCP 7/DSP3: I like copying video from one track, and pasting it on another. Outright Cmd-C or Opt-A/Cmd-C of In/Out.

I am going cross-eyed trying to find how you do that! And, if you can Opt-V Paste Attributes > Content, and re0use a video container on a montage track?
Re: FCP 7 vs Premiere Pro comparisons
July 21, 2012 03:15PM
To copy a clip, you can copy and select the track you want to paste it on, and paste the clip. You can also copy a clip by holding the option key while dragging. You can't copy in to out, sadly, but you can blade the clip and copy and paste. That or hit match frame and insert/overwrite edit.

Some parts of it works like Avid. It's better to use the add edit command rather than the blade tool, mainly because the blade tool doesn't snap. Premiere also uses some Avid terms like lift and extract. You can mark in/out and do an extract edit (ripple delete from in/out) or a lift edit (deletes in to out). There is also a trim to heads or tails command like in Avid, where you can ripple edit heads or tails of the clip to where your playhead is, or do an extend edit for heads or tails in the same manner.

Selecting tracks in PP works a bit like auto select in FCP. So you need to select the track to do a lift/extract edit from the track. To select all tracks hold the shift key. Selecting the track also determines which track the clip will be pasted on.

To nudge a clip left or right, opt left/right arrow.

To do a swap edit, hold command option while dragging. But in PP, you can swap edit a group of clips, not just one.

When dragging a clip from the viewer or bin, and you want to do an insert edit, hold the cmd key.

There is the sync lock, which is a little similar to Avid. With it turned off, trimming will not affect the tracks with sync locks off. Sync lock also affects extract edits. Basically sync lock keeps things in sync on the track level.

For the trim tool, if you hold command and hover over the edit point, the tool switches between the trim modes (single side roll, roll edit, ripple edit, etc). You can customize this behavior in preferences.

You can also select a trim tool and marquee select a bunch of points you want to trim. You can also add trimming sides by holding shift and selecting the points.

Yes, you can copy and paste attributes, except that it will paste all attributes. You can delete specific attributes just like in FCP.

Keyframing beats FCP hands down, and so does the title tool.

To adjust audio levels, you can use the rubber band, or you can map a shortcut to audio gain adjustment.

You can also do track level mixing in the mixer. Note the mixer works only on track level and not on the clip level, so volume adjustments won't shift with the clip if you move the clip when track keyframes are applied.

In short, picking up PP when you're coming from FCP should be a breeze, and you should be able to cut straight from the get go, but it is also a different software, so don't expect everything to be similar. Some of the differences in PPro I really like, while some I'm not a big fan of. On the whole, I like it for most jobs. And I find it fast. Very fast. Both with regards to the edit tools and the processing speed of the software (everything is multithreaded), and also you barely have to render during the edit.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 21, 2012 03:23PM
> if you can Opt-V Paste Attributes > Content, and re0use a video container on a
>montage track?

Not sure what you mean by that. Match frame and replace edit?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 21, 2012 03:24PM
I'm going to shift this thread to the other side...

www.strypesinpost.com
July 21, 2012 03:25PM
-- moved topic --
July 21, 2012 09:07PM
Make sure the track you want to paste to is turned on, by the way.

Also, you can paste individual effects, Strypes - just select them in the effects panel instead of the whole clip. Paste attributes could use work though.

As could the blade tool, as you say, it sort of doesn't snap. Except it does, if you click close to the playhead. It just doesn't feel like it's going to. I mean, it does cut at the playhead, but you're never sure it's going to before you do it.

July 21, 2012 09:45PM
>Also, you can paste individual effects

Good point. Also, you can copy and paste attributes, then immediately remove the attributes you don't want copied.

>As could the blade tool, as you say, it sort of doesn't snap. Except it does

I tried it a few times, and it feel like it snaps at all. Then I threw in a whole bunch of clips and made the timeline 3 hrs long, and sure enough, it hits the mark on blade, but the blade needs to be right on the spot. So probably it snaps, but it's not an operation I trust.

That said, I like how snapping is implemented- dragging the playhead in the timeline doesn't snap unless you hold shift. I hardly find myself toggling snap, like I do in FCP.

>Make sure the track you want to paste to is turned on, by the way.

What is the official name for that? Selected tracks? Enabled tracks? Highlighted tracks? Targeted tracks?

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics