Who's in the Adobe Cloud?

Posted by John K 
Who's in the Adobe Cloud?
August 14, 2012 01:46PM
Hey all,

With the promotional pricing about to expire, I'm on the fence about upgrading to Adobe Cloud to get CS6 (I'm still on CS5). Pricing wise it makes good sense - for the next two years, the cost of the cloud would be less than the upgrade for my Master Collection ($1,049) so I'd be saving a few bucks and won't have to skip any of the .5 releases or even CS7 if it's out during that period.

But the major downside I see is that I'll be pretty much locked in to the Cloud for the foreseeable future. If I stop paying then POOF - no more apps. I'm used to having Photoshop or After Effects in my dock and available for whenever I need them, feels really weird to think of "renting" them from now on, especially if I'm not using them on a daily basis.

Who else has made the switch? Or if you haven't can you tell me why not?

TIA, JVK

August 14, 2012 03:43PM
You can continue using your CS5 package if you let licensing expire. With XML and the Open Sesame Script, you can safely move projects to previous versions (minus any new features, of course).

It's a great deal, especially if you upgrade every year anyway. Let me know if you have questions.
Re: Who's in the Adobe Cloud?
August 14, 2012 04:03PM
Thanks Kevin. Are you hip to how various apps handle backwards compatibility? I know apps like Photoshop aren't usually a problem, but how hard is it to open Premiere or AE files in previous versions? And would my CS5 install be completely unaffected if I install CS6 on the same system?

JVK

August 14, 2012 07:23PM
I'm on the cloud and I like it but, yeah, still like the idea of a disc on the desk if everything goes bezerk with a deadline coming. I have CS5.5 on disc as well, and I know you can run them side by side, but not sure if it's backwards compatible. I've removed 5.5 now so can't do a test for you, sorry.

August 14, 2012 08:21PM
I think it's a matter of personal opinion. I didn't get Creative Cloud because I generally prefer to own things and not be tied into contracts if I can avoid them.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
August 16, 2012 05:05PM
>still like the idea of a disc on the desk

Well... I don't have it on disc. I have my Adobe apps downloaded from Adobe. I'm reasonably happy to reduce my carbon footprint this way, although a download does take some time. (there's also the additional content that is a separate download).

To be honest, I would probably go onto the creative cloud, if I didn't already pay for Production Premium CS5.5 last year, partly because it is not that much more expensive than Production Premium over a 10 year period given existing prices (unless you have already bought the suite). Also, the paradigm shift from the days in the edit cave, is that softwares are really more like subscription (once you factor in upgrade costs). You really don't expect to buy an "edit machine" and have it sit in a cave and make money for the next 30 years. Not in today's age of digital formats. Already H.265 is set to be released next year.

That said, I'm not sure if the cloud is released in my region. I know some VAR people are a bit concerned that may be factored out of this new equation. Basically it's the same argument with the distribution of FCP X via the Apple store.

Speaking about that Apple store paradigm, I actually find that idea an easier sell- pay a one off 300 bucks and get loads of features included in subsequent releases. And given Apple's history, it would probably get even cheaper. I'm actually wondering if Apple will ever charge for future upgrades of FCP, or if it's meant to be a loss leader.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 24, 2012 08:21PM
FWIW, I pulled the trigger and it's been pretty smooth sailing. I've downloaded all of the Production apps and I'm using PPro on a couple projects now, not as hard to learn as I feared. I've already upgraded to the new Acrobat Pro, so having access to the latest versions is a really nice perk. The installer is a click away in my Dock and I haven't found myself missing the rigamarole of installing from a disk at all.

All in all, pretty happy with the Cloud.
November 09, 2012 12:15PM
No cloud for me (yet). I dislike contracts, dongles and storage I cannot touch (I was with an online storage company for a few weeks - complete waste of time - deleted my account and they won't stop calling me to come back). I like to collect my legit (paid for) registered Serial Numbers. The software can always be re-downloaded but the numbers are mine on a master list that lives on a watertight thumb drive that I carry with me. Laptop exploded? It's all good cool smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

November 09, 2012 12:18PM
I seem to recall Adobe stores your product key in your online account so it's available there too.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
November 09, 2012 02:39PM
The pricing of the Creative Cloud really isn't that much different from the older model of purchasing a software license for the working professional. It merely offsets the initial cost of purchasing the suite and spreads it out over a few years, since most of us have to upgrade anyway. I also find the pricing of Adobe to be better structured in getting users to stay current than the current Avid model.

If you take the cost of upgrades for Production Premium, the cost for a .5 upgrade is $375, and the cost of a 1 point upgrade is $749. You save only $1 by waiting 2 years, and skipping the new trim tools. And there has been loads of bang for buck features in every release, which is why most of us upgrade anyway.

There are some facilities that don't upgrade unless they feel it is absolutely necessary. I've come across an old forgotten AE CS3 installation on one of the edit machines, but that's hardly used, because GFX at that particular facility goes to the GFX department. Even then, a Creative Cloud month to month license would have been cheaper than the licensing cost for that hardly used license.

Production Premium itself costs $1899. Whereas the Creative Cloud costs $600 a year, or $80 on a rolling month to month basis, excluding offers.

[www.adobe.com]

The idea of the Cloud is that you pay for it if you need it, which if you ask me, is the reality of using a piece of software. As for the idea of actually owning a piece of software, it doesn't really work out in practice, because of the rate of obsolescence of software and hardware. But at the same time, for guys like me, because I already own a license, it is not as feasible for us to get onto the Cloud just yet.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics