A few days with PP6.0

Posted by Andrew Kines 
A few days with PP6.0
June 04, 2013 07:53PM
Spending a few days with Premiere 6.0(WIN) on a corporate gig. 3 camera angles at all day conferences. Audio on a separate system usually H4n or another Zoom variant. Tons of media to be ingested and synced. Cutting highlight packages and switched cuts of each presentation, Q/A and wrap session. The previous sentence can be interpreted to mean boredom lurks around every bend.

The multicam is interesting when combined with Pluralize. Merely importing the Pluralize XML and collapsing all the channels into a Multicam enabled nest is a pretty snazzy workflow.
I haven't figured out the most efficient way to do a quick camera angle cut and then watch the switched version. There's a lot of clicking between the Program window and the MC window and the record buttons(?) and then when you hit stop it adds an edit at the stop point. That's dumb.
To be fair, it took me a while in both AVID and FCP to get inside the brain of the people designing the Multicam functions and map the shortcuts to where they were efficient.
Haven't had time but it would seem possible to open up a Multicam nest and add a new track of video to it or even move the layers around. Don't know what the ramifications of that would be but it's worth trying on some garbage footage.

Not being able to edit sequence to sequence without nesting is a serious problem for this gig.
I know they've added this function to the CC version (which this company is NOT racing towards) but it's hard to imagine how everyone using PP up until now did without it. KEM rolls anyone?

Not having a useful shortcut for raising the clip volume by +\-XdB is hard to get used to.

I like the ability to import a sequence from a closed project file into an open project. Great for versioning, restoring from autosaves and recovering from crashes.

These are just a few observations. Not had enough time on the system to feel strongly about it. I can feel myself getting pretty fast as I map shortcuts to where they are familiar from AVID or FCP or I can just work around them.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: A few days with PP6.0
June 04, 2013 10:15PM
>Haven't had time but it would seem possible to open up a Multicam nest and add a
>new track of video to it or even move the layers around.

Right click on master multicam sequence and choose open in timeline. Each camera angle is on each track. There is a live relationship between this master multicam sequence and it's affiliate clips used in the edits, so changes made here will affect your cut. But you can add camera clips to a track or perform color correction on an angle to match the rest of the cameras. You can also add more tracks (more camera angles).

The clickiness is going to change in CC.

>Not having a useful shortcut for raising the clip volume by +\-XdB is hard to get used to.

And there is. Do a search for audio gain in the keyboard shortcuts and map it. That will let you add/reduce gain via a kb shortcut by selecting a clip(s) in the timeline and the resulting change in audio waveforms will be recalculated. Lots of options in this function like various normalize functions and gain adjustment options.

For what its worth, the FCP-ish level adjustments where you can increase/decrease volume by small or large adjustments with a keyboard shortcut will be also coming in CC.

>I can feel myself getting pretty fast as I map shortcuts to where they are familiar
>from AVID or FCP

Yes. Quite a bunch of Avid-esque trim tools here like being able to marquee lasso edit points with the roll or ripple tools (or cmd drag with selection tool), there's ripple in/out point to playhead like heads/tails in Avid, and set nearest edit point as trim/ripple in/out. These tools are waaay better than in FCP7.

Patching will be much improved in CC, and so will importing sequences from projects, which can be done via the media browser. A lot of very nice functions in CC.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: A few days with PP6.0
June 05, 2013 09:03AM
It seems like Adobe is really trying to accommodate and listen to the professionals with new features and fixing old ones. Where Apple didn't listen to anyone but maybe SJ. I think now with CC coming out full force, updates might be a regular thing every 6 months or so. With CC, Adobe can keep us on the leading edge. Well thats my take, and I'm sticking to it!

P.S. Adobe Audition CC is looking real nice. I can't wait to get it on June 17th.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics