Direct Link to SpeedGrade

Posted by strypes 
Direct Link to SpeedGrade
November 02, 2013 10:47AM
I'm playing with the new SpeedGrade and it's fantastic. I created a sequence in the new Premiere Pro and threw in just about every format I can find - AVCHD, XDCAM HD, XDCAM EX, 4K XAVC, DvcproHD P2, RED, Canon XF, BMD Cinema DNG, DNxHD OP1A, ArriRaw, ProRes QT, and an H.264 QT. There is a mix of frame sizes and frame rates in that sequence.

And then I also sent a clip to After Effects, used the new tracking mask and did a region blur. Also, created a multicamera sequence with mixed formats, interpreted the frame rate on a clip, did a speed change. And then I sent the entire sequence over to SpeedGrade, and everything went through and came back with the Lumetri effect applied on the clips that I toyed with, with no conforming! Wow!

The only thing I can say is that you don't have direct access to the source settings in BMD Cinema DNG, so if you're working with the BMD cameras, you may want to convert those to something else, or just grade those DNG clips in the DaVinci Resolve after you're done with the edit. But this is HUGE!

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Direct Link to SpeedGrade
November 02, 2013 11:24AM
That's great news, Gerard. I'll have to start messing around with it myself soon. When Adobe said they were committed to the professionals, (after Apple FCP took a dump) they weren't kidding! Thanks for sharing winking smiley
November 02, 2013 11:33AM
Also, in other news, Andy Mees's transitions in FXFactory is now drag and drop.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 07, 2013 11:32AM
Sir

I have speedgrade CC on PC (not mac)

I am struggling to get my XDCAM EX footage to work. I cannot drag the clip into the timeline (Getting the RED X). Also there are no thumbnails.

I see that you appear to be able to install a host of formats (great!)

Am I missing something (an update)? Can you offer any advice?

Thanks!
November 07, 2013 11:37AM
Direct Link is new in the October update, so you have to install the latest version of SpeedGrade and Premiere Pro, and also the latest version of After Effects if you are using dynamic linked comps. The update comes at no additional charge for CC subscribers.

Direct Link works by sending a sequence from Premiere Pro to SpeedGrade. So you edit in Premiere and then send it over to SpeedGrade for color correction. This option is under File>Direct Link to SpeedGrade. Once you are done with the grade, update the sequence in Premiere from SpeedGrade by clicking the "Direct Link to Premiere Pro" button. Basically, the ingest has to go through Premiere.

Alternatively, you can launch SpeedGrade and tell it to open a Premiere Pro project you will be presented with a list of sequences. Pick the edit sequence from there.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 07, 2013 03:35PM
Here is an Adobe webinar on using the Direct Link in Premiere Pro CC and SpeedGrade CC.

Direct Link 101 – Bring color grading into your editing workflow
11/14/2013,10:00 AM US/Pacific

REGISTRATION
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics