Premiere CC questions

Posted by Joe Riggs 
Premiere CC questions
April 08, 2014 06:42PM
This is going to be my thread of questions related to CC.

1. Is there a short cut for moving clips up and down between tracks ala FCP7? if you have to set it up mnually what's the command called in the keyboard shortcuts window?

2. Is there a way to change the timecode on a sequence timeline, so for example you want it to start at 00:01:00:00, instead of 00:00:00:00? In FCP7 you just go to sequence settings and type it in your desired time.

3. Does match frame work differently in CC? Sometimes I'll select match frame and it will the correct frame but won't have the wrong in and out points selected.

4. Easiest way to trim and expand JUST the mutlitrack audio connected to a video clip that is up against other video clips with multitrack audio? Just to clarify I want to keep the video as is, just adjust the edit on the audio. Lock video track?

5. Short cut to lock tracks?

Thanks
Re: Premiere CC questions
April 08, 2014 08:39PM
1. Is there a short cut for moving clips up and down between tracks ala FCP7? if you have to set it up mnually what's the command called in the keyboard shortcuts window?

"Nudge clip selections up/down"

2. Is there a way to change the timecode on a sequence timeline, so for example you want it to start at 00:01:00:00, instead of 00:00:00:00? In FCP7 you just go to sequence settings and type it in your desired time.

Yes. Go to the timeline panel flyout menu. It's the one on the top right of the panel. And click on "Start Time..."

3. Does match frame work differently in CC? Sometimes I'll select match frame and it will the correct frame but won't have the wrong in and out points selected.

It should have the in and out points of the clip you selected. Split edits won't be marked as splits though. What is the issue you are having here?

4. Easiest way to trim and expand JUST the mutlitrack audio connected to a video clip that is up against other video clips with multitrack audio? Just to clarify I want to keep the video as is, just adjust the edit on the audio. Lock video track?

If you want to bypass linked selection, hold option. This is similar to FCP. With this, you can marquee select with the roll tool. So I would hold opt and marquee drag over the edit points with the roll tool, then trim as needed.

You can also do this with the selection tool. If you hold cmd and marquee drag over the clips with the selection tool, you select edit points, like you would with the roll tool. So in this case you can hold opt and cmd and marquee select the edit points with the selection tool. Option will bypass linked selection and cmd will allow you to select edit points for trimming.

There is also the "extend next/previous edit to playhead" shortcut which works with track targets.

There are even more ways to do this and trimming is one of my favorite functions in Premiere. I'm not assuming you are talking about multichannel audio which is one track but with many audio channels. That would be different.

5. Short cut to lock tracks?

Lock/Unlock all video tracks (and audio tracks) will be in the next Premiere Pro update. For now, shift clicking will lock/unlock all video or audio tracks.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 09, 2014 12:18AM
Always count on Strypes, thank you.
April 09, 2014 02:38AM
Regarding Match frame, I'm running into the following issues on CC 7.2.1, it seems to be
only affecting merged clips:

A. It displays the correct frame but incorrect in and out points.

B. It displays the correct frame but NO in and out points.

In the images you can see CC is also marking these clips as out of sync, they're actually
in sync so I'm not sure what's going on there. Perhaps that's messing up the match frame?
April 09, 2014 02:57AM
I'll use multicam sequences for what you are doing.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 09, 2014 06:18PM
Yeah the sync thing has to be contributing to the problem. Are the in-out markers off by the same number of frames as the out of sync markers are indicating?

April 10, 2014 12:01PM
The in and out markers aren't off by the same amount as the sync indicators

This seems to be a known issue with merge clips, no one else experiencing this working on projects using double system sound?

[www.larryjordan.biz]
April 10, 2014 10:06PM
Again, I suggest using multicam sequences. Mcam has significantly more features than merged clips and it works well in an extended post pipeline, and doesn't require creating new media.

Admittedly I haven't done a step by step guide on multicam as there are many out there, but i went straight into the details. So anyway, here is a step by step:

1. Throw the entire scene into a bin. Both video and audio. They need to be in the same bin for this to work.

2. Select the clips or entire bins and choose make multicam sequence.

3. Choose sync by audio and choose "mono" and "cam 1". The last option will force the wav files to always be used.

4. Click ok. Then check the results.

If you need to send to the audio house, make sure that all your audio is imported as mono and you are editing on mono tracks. If you are editing mono clips on standard tracks, the clips will get duplicated on the omf which still isn't such a big deal.

If you need to send to the Resolve for grading, use effects on adjustment layers and remove speed ramps before flattening the multicam clips. This is quite similar to conforming for Apple Color. The next update of Premiere should address this issue.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 11, 2014 12:52AM
Thanks Strypes,

For future projects that is an option, I prefer merge clips though as there's a certain way I like to work,
separating clips into bins, I guess I could sort the multicam sequences into bins instead but
Premiere really needs to fix this merge clip issue.
April 11, 2014 02:23AM
Merged clips came before multicam sequences. Both can perform the same function of keeping the sync relationship between different assets but multicam is far more versatile as a container. You can still separate the assets after you have synced them.

What is the way you like to work?

www.strypesinpost.com
April 11, 2014 08:36AM
I just prefer to edit with actual clips rather than sequences. I also prefer plural eyes to premiere's sync feature.

i do like that the CC project file sizes don't blow up with RED footage like in CS6.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics