Premiere Pro and RED

Posted by Ethan 
Premiere Pro and RED
July 25, 2014 04:03PM
So potential new project feature film shot on either Dragon or Epic.

My system is :
Processor 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB.

Can anyone just cut the red footage in PP. or is transcoding to something smaller still best for a feature.

Does sync merge work? I've seen it done with one file, is it always a select sound and matching picture function?

Thanks.
Re: Premiere Pro and RED
July 28, 2014 04:37PM
Hi Ethan,

Ethan
My system is :
Processor 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB.
If you are cutting on Dragon or Epic, I'd get a GPU with more VRAM than 512MB. Hopefully you have 16GB RAM or better.

Can anyone just cut the red footage in PP. or is transcoding to something smaller still best for a feature.

Most people do, yes. You just drop the preview quality in the Source and Program Monitors.

Does sync merge work? I've seen it done with one file, is it always a select sound and matching picture function?

You merge clips using sync via sound, TC, In Points, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin
July 28, 2014 07:28PM
I haven't done any serious cutting with RED on Premiere yet, but I did do a test on my home stock 2.7 i5 iMac (although it does have 16GB ram) and I was able to play back native clips from a USB drive, which is about the most struggletown path to take in terms of playback.

So as Kevin says, you shouldn't have too much problem running native but do bump up your gear if you possibly can, because it will make your experience smoother.

July 28, 2014 09:05PM
I've done short form so far, so up to 5 hours of rushes in a single project for few spots and those are on much beefier machines than what you mentioned.

That worked very well and if you toggle the resolution to half or a quarter, it feels like you're working with prores. As Kev mentioned you need RAM and a beefier GPU.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 28, 2014 06:24AM
It there a more efficient way to import multiple cards of RED files into Premiere?

Currently, I have to go to Media browser, select the day, card, and then roll, to final see the red files, then import them.
This is how my folder structure is set on the drive, and I have 10 days worth with 5 cards for each day.

Just dragging and dropping the files in from the finder will result in the RED files being broken up due to the size limit so that's not a solution.

Is there another way?
August 28, 2014 01:53PM
You should be able to drag multiple red folders from the media browser.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 28, 2014 10:22PM
You can drag multiple cards from the media browser, but it results in broken or split up files due to size limitations in RED media as you can see below.

I believe the only way to get them into premiere consolidated is by using the media browser and navigating through your folder structure until it recognizes the files as "RED".

This means you have to select the actual RED mag, if you have more than a few RED mags to import, this current way is tedious.

If there's another way, I'd love to know what that is.
August 28, 2014 11:00PM
Those clips should be spanned duplicates, so if you look in the duration column, all instances of the spanned clips have the same duration.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 29, 2014 05:25AM
Oh, I wonder if that will solve the XDCam thing that does duplicates of spanned clips. Nice find. I'll be checking that out here. I usually import whole folders and get dupes.

August 30, 2014 02:26AM
I could be wrong about it though... I just tried it and it seem that RED gets imported with the RDC folder intact, but I don't have any spanned RED clips on hand at the moment.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 09, 2014 11:51PM
Trying it out right now. It seems to behave as expected with spanned clips appearing in folders with clip content duplicated due to them being spanned clips.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics