Avid training for an FCP user?

Posted by bluey 
Re: Avid training for an FCP user?
July 07, 2011 05:44AM
>For just one instance in FCP you cannot make a ripple delete

Mark in, mark out, shift X. Unless auto select is off, which isn't in most cases. But I agree. I see lots of editors try to work a new platform the same way they did when they were in the old one. I guess it's only natural. Even I am guilty of that too.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 07, 2011 06:00AM
. . . good to see this thread back up top, even more relevant what with the FCPX/'ImoviePro' situation . . .

many thanks,
Bluey,
July 07, 2011 08:20AM
@ Strypes

Oh yeah I know the mark in and mark out shift delete for ripple. I at least know that much winking smiley What I meant was sometimes depending on what is going on in your track panel you may get the operation not allowed window. In Avid the track panel does not effect your extraction in any way. My ultimate point is that it is instinctual to try to translate the skills you already know but allot of folks stop there and do themselves a disservice because there is a whole bunch of stuff outside of that to know that the FCP to Avid books leave out because they will never focus on a unique functionality in Avid that never resembled anything in FCP and those functions are usually the fastest and most efficient. For instance allot of FCP users spend allot of time putting in unnecessary "add edits" or razor cuts on their music tracks to keep things in sync while trimming a dialogue clip forward when you can just turn your sync locks on and the Avid will make the break for you while trimming and sync locks are unique to Avid. Stuff like that.

Oh a slight mistake. Scriptsync is available on mac but production suite is available on pc only.
July 07, 2011 09:37AM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "don't ya think they will snap out of it and come
> back with something that is like FCP7"
>
> definitely not.
> FCP X is the future as far as Apple are concerned
>

Totally agree.
I believe Apple might is targeting the market of the "weekend filmmaker" which largely increased these last few years with the DSRL hype.
This market might be bigger than the pro market and would explain for example the lack of one of the pro of the pro feature like export to tape, export omf...
July 07, 2011 10:09AM
There is no doubt the lower end and entry level edit market will be huge - this means for third-parties and for consultancy, training, documentation on FCPX, Motion 5 and Compressor will be VERY profitable regardless of any of us complaining.

I can foresee we will be asked to take projects started in FCPX to finish.

My advice would indeed to go off and learn (or relearn) Avid or add to Premiere on your own systems. But don't make the mistake of ignoring FCPX - it will blaze its way into the 10s of millions of users regardless of a few 1000 people moving to another NLE.

I never left either of the other NLEs, as despite its dominance and saturation, FCP was never 100% of all the markets I work in.

My advice would be to learn FCPX regardless - put it in perspective - for crying out loud its cheaper than the last font set I bought! Some plugins are more expensive... For many of you it's less than 2 days work! And tax deductible no doubt...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 10, 2011 05:30PM
I agree with Ben about FCP X. A lot of people are jumping to learn Avid and Premiere quickly when really they should've been working with it already. Avid has had a 30 day trial for MC for a long time. Down the line when (not if) FCP X has matured as an NLE and jobs are being done on it, do you really want to be left out in the cold again?

I never really understood the Avid vs FCP debate. I like both and I use both. I figure most strong editors do, at least in LA since there are lots of both kinds of jobs. There are times I've wished I was using the other at a particular moment in a cut before, but I don't favor one over the other.

Even now, I'm learning FCP X as just another tool. Lots to love about the new workflow, plenty to annoy as well. I figure I got time to get to know it before its in anyone's preferred workflows.

I just hope that Adobe doesn't snag too much market share with Premiere because even though I can cut on it, it is just gawd-awful mess of an interface.

Andy
July 10, 2011 07:18PM
>I just hope that Adobe doesn't snag too much market share with Premiere because
>even though I can cut on it, it is just gawd-awful mess of an interface.

Some of the features too. And for those reasons I may prefer Lightworks to gain traction.

www.strypesinpost.com
Avid training for an FCP user?
July 19, 2011 07:35PM
-- moved topic --
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics