Just curious about Avid/Adobe switchers and color correction.

Posted by ianedit 
Re: Just curious about Avid/Adobe switchers and color correction.
August 09, 2011 07:53PM
Hey Walter - excellent news. Right now I think I could use Premiere pretty much out of the box, but not really enjoy it mainly because of some parts of the UI. Not sure if they are in there somewhere but things I immediately miss are the ability to position items in the canvas (aka image and wireframe mode) and using the title tool, CC and keyframing (yes, I know it's just like AE really) feel .. yeah.. fiddly.

In reality the biggest thing that is stopping a lot of people I think is purely reputation. Premiere here in my market is known as the wedding cutting tool. Avid is the documentary tool, News has Edius, Quickcut (or something) and Quantel, and FCP was everything else. If I concentrate on Avid, I'm likely to get more high-end work. There is definitely a fear that if I focus on Premiere the work will start being low end and low pay.

I do understand that this is all just a social construct, and that Premiere is more than up to the same jobs as Avid, but it's interesting that people (including myself) are hesitating. If I knew that all the post houses were Premiere already, it wouldn't be an issue.

By the way, of course I'm going both Avid and Premiere. Just an observation about why I feel I can't just give it all over to Adobe right now, despite their other excellent products which I use daily.

August 10, 2011 03:06PM
Jude, keep in mind that FCP was in the same situation regarding not being accepted as a professional tool at one time. Premiere Pro has a similar problem, but that is changing rapidly as I hear of more and more post houses and professional television entities going with Creative Suite and Premiere Pro. I'd say, be ready with Premiere Pro chops as soon those skills are going to be very marketable. Cheers! smileys with beer

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
August 15, 2011 07:14PM
I am in the middle of color correcting four Avid shows. I export a ProRes file from Avid MC, and an EDL, and import that EDL and file into Color...and Color chops up the file. I color correct like I have been for 2 years...then render out, export to FCP (that is just an intermediary tool now). Export a ProRes HQ file. AMA back into AVID MC, then Transcode to DNxHD 220x, and drop in the titles.

I could use Colorista, as that works in Avid MC (not Colorista 2...not yet)...but I am faster with Color, and love the secondaries that I have come to rely on.

Worked great, as this was a show edited at 23.98, but needed to deliver 29.97 digitally. Avid converted the cut 23.98 to 29.97 VERY well, I then rendered that, and output the file. So I can still use Color, and FCP is just an in-between step. Well, except I use it and all the plugins I have for it to replicate the sapphire ones used in Avid that I will not be buying ($1700!)

And Resolve isn't just $995. Then you have to buy the Decklink Extreme 3D card as it is the ONLY one that works with Resolve...and very specific NVidia cards, that aren't cheap. So to be fair, it's between $2500-$3500.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
September 09, 2011 04:43PM
YES! We acquired IRIDAS. You'll soon see some excellent solutions for color correction! the finger smiley

[blogs.adobe.com]

Kevin Monahan
Social Support Lead, DV Products
Adobe
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro Community Blog
Follow Me on Twitter!
September 09, 2011 08:36PM
I see a new DVD in my future. Stop Staring Start Grading with Adobe SpeedGrade..... smiling smiley

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
September 14, 2011 06:05PM
By the way. Premiere Pro CS5.5.1 came out and one of the fixes is XML interchange with DaVinci Resolve! More: [blogs.adobe.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics