DM
Re: Avid goes 64 bits
July 18, 2011 11:35PM
Strypes,
see if this link discussion interests you....about AMA vs DNx HD
[www.dvinfo.net]
July 18, 2011 11:57PM
With the advent of "Apple Video Sequencer 2011," it just makes more sense for those of us who must retrain to retrain up, to Avid.

Premeire is so FCP like that bridge can be crossed anytime.

The last Avid class i took was a 4 hour thing at the guild for assistants, and the instructor said among other things that FCS was a great utility to be used in conjunction with Avid. So I see us all eventually buying both. Cutting in Avid and using compressor and it's companion software the "Apple Video Sequencer 2011," as a viewer and mark up tool. Well hand the director an IPad with his dailies to take back to his hotel room and ignore on his apple tv.
July 19, 2011 12:14AM
Yes ian, the lasso method is the way to get into the various trim/slip/slide modes quickly. And yet a lot of editors don't know it, even if they have been working on the Avid for years.
July 19, 2011 12:31AM
And also the alt or option lasso for isolated tracks, skip the trim window and drag with the mouse or play with JKL. None of that click, click, click up in the window or typing in numbers nonsense that they teach in the books and classes.
July 19, 2011 02:24AM
>But what I REALLY want to know is WTF is up with all of the one monitor setups with both
>Avid and FCP

I think it is easier to put up one screen than to put up two screens at demos. But look. The windows look moveable, unlike in FCP X. But I have been wrong about my predictions. Most notably in predicting that FCP X will come with tape ingest because tape is indispensable in the forseeable future.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 19, 2011 10:48AM
>Strypes,
>see if this link discussion interests you....about AMA vs DNx HD

Thanks DM. That was before MC 5.5. Not sure how much have changed since then. Although the argument is similar to FCP users converting long GOP formats to ProRes rather than edit in a long GOP codec, the issue is more than just about long GOP. It is also about how well optimized AMA is. In MC 5, I actually felt Quicktime was more optimized and stable than AMA. But I was wondering if this issue has been fixed and if there are any more caveats to that.

Btw, is there any other way to bring an Avid project to Color other than Automatic Duck?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 19, 2011 03:35PM
Hey Strypes,

Thanks for the mention and the link.

Best,
Lawrence, "Larry" Jordan
[hollywoodreinvented.com]
July 19, 2011 04:48PM
My pleasure. Always good to share news. And I hope Avid will be the first company that does 64 bits properly.

www.strypesinpost.com
RJ
July 19, 2011 06:04PM
Well that post was really helpful. Thanks. Can you say how After Effects handles DNxHD and if it plays back nicely in the Mercury playback engine?
July 19, 2011 06:47PM
AE handles DNxHD just the same as any other codec but you have to make sure you install the codec set which can be downloaded from Avid's website. If I am making graphics for Avid, it's DNx, FCP I use ProRes. Don't know about Mercury though.
July 19, 2011 07:01PM
Curious. When you do graphics for Avid, do you export as quicktimes and ingest via AMA or do you do an Avid import/transcode?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 19, 2011 07:05PM
lots of good info in this thread.
i'm moving it to the new "Other NLE's" forum, the new place for discussions re Avid, Premeiere, etc

nick
Avid goes 64 bits
July 19, 2011 07:05PM
-- moved topic --

www.strypesinpost.com
July 19, 2011 07:33PM
Yea, the party's over here. Welcome to The Others. We figured it was a time of transition, since FCP is EOL and everyone is shifting towards a file based workflow and 64 bits, so this forum will be where we talk about the different platforms, weigh up the pros and cons so everyone can transition to something.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 20, 2011 01:44AM
So glad I didn't pull the trigger on the MC 5.5 upgrade yet...this MC 6 looks much nicer. I am sure Avid will have a nice "ABANDON SHIP" price scheme for FCP users like us. I am on it.

Still...Premiere kicks ass for working with straight DSLR material without transcoding. Rock on.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 20, 2011 01:46AM
I haven't done a single grafix pass for an Avid in 8 years. That's how much FCP has saturated the Florida market. I used to do Animation files w/alpha. Now I believe ProRes 4444 w/Alpha works. I do not think DNxHD carries an Alpha Channel...does it?

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

July 20, 2011 05:38AM

Well that post was really helpful. Thanks. Can you say how After Effects handles DNxHD and if it plays back nicely in the Mercury playback engine?

Currently AE CS5.5 (and earlier) does not use the Mercury Playback engine - only Premiere CS5+ has Mercury Playback.

However AE CS5.5 will handle any CODEC you have the (working) QT CODEC component for.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 20, 2011 07:08PM
Export from graphics software using the DNxHD codec.

Download Avid codecs to install into any third party graphics software here:

[avid.custkb.com]..

DNxHD totally carries an alpha.

File import or fast import by dragging into bin but don't use AMA with graphics.

Here is a great article that goes in depth:

[michaelkammes.com]

Best.
July 20, 2011 07:24PM
Nice. That sounds a little like log and transfer where footage gets re-wrapped instead of transcoded. I'm starting to like this more. I would be curious to know what happens when QuickTime is EOL but I suppose we could all use mxf.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 20, 2011 07:48PM
@Strypes

I also don't know if you can take an Avid project into Color but I am not sure anything except straight cuts can be taken from Avid into any other program. The classic way is to send it to a symphony because it's the same program as MC with jacked up CC tools. I don't know what would happen with any Boris, Sapphire or even Avid based effects in another program. I know that Red Giant/Colorista is Avid compatible but don't know how good it is and have never heard of anyone using it. I think it may be best to use a third party plugin into Avid as opposed to going to another program so you can color correct right in the timeline symphony style and nothing gets lost in the translation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics