Can Avid coexist with FCP on same system drive?
August 06, 2011 12:42PM
Hey Guys and Gals,

Just purchased my copy of Avid. (Don't know a single thing about the program) Wanted to know if I should have a separate system drive for Avid or can I install it on my current drive now which also has FCP on it? Would love to have both programs on the same drive for my 17' Macbook Pro and my Mac Pro Desktop. Specs on both are below

17" Macbook Pro
2.8 Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB
500 gig HD

MacPro
2 2.4 Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB Ram
1 TB HD
Blackmagic extreme HD Card

Thanks,

Jeff
Re: Can Avid coexist with FCP on same system drive?
August 06, 2011 12:48PM
Yes...I have both on mine...just cannot run them at the same time. I suggest if you don't know a single thing about the program, there is another resource that might be helpful:

[community.avid.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 06, 2011 12:48PM
I have Avid and FCP on the same drive and don't experience any problems, however you have to be careful about installing updates. Your Mac Pro is running 10.6.8 which is not yet qualified for use with Media Composer, according to the compatibility chart:
[avid.custkb.com]

Avid takes a while to qualify each operating system update and QuickTime version, so it's worth putting it on another drive if you have other software that requires the latest versions of everything.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
August 06, 2011 12:50PM
Avid don't upgrade very often and when they do they are usually an OS or two behind on both Mac and PC so I'd put it on a separate drive if you think you might update the system disk with FCP often.

On the MBP you could always create a FireWire boot disk which could load either/or.

I know people running both on the same drive without issues, but in my case I like to install all the latest updates so run a separate disk as a work drive or specific system drive when upgrading.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
August 07, 2011 12:42AM
How about CS5? Does any of that Adobe software cause headaches?

- Justin Barham -
August 07, 2011 12:46AM
No, I have all three on my system with no issues. Each major version of Creative Suite is independent so you can even keep your old versions installed if you so wish. I have both CS 5 and CS 5.5 on my system with no conflicts.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
August 07, 2011 01:42AM
Good to know!

- Justin Barham -
August 08, 2011 09:37AM
Uh...Adobe has issues with Lion - wouldn't go here just yet.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 09, 2011 08:54PM
Thank you guys for all of your help and input! I will look into that site Joe. Thanks!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics