5.5 to 5.5 (Media Composer to Premiere Pro)
August 06, 2011 10:22PM
This is kind of an odd place to present a question about going from Media Composer to Premiere. But what the heck. Welcome to the brave new world of NLE's.

We're cutting a RED show in MC 5.5. Offlining in DNxHD36 (1080, 23.98, low bit rate). I want to conform it in Premiere so I can then flip it to AE for temp VFX (greenscreens and such). So I'm trying different ways of exporting AAFs (linked, consolidated, embedded, etc.) but I'm getting (at best) a sequence in Premiere where the clips seem to freeze a couple seconds into each one.

Doesn't anyone have any tips? This is actually the first time I've opened up Premiere since 1998!

Thanks.

- Justin Barham -
Re: 5.5 to 5.5 (Media Composer to Premiere Pro)
August 06, 2011 10:52PM
People have been experiencing clip freezing issues when their permissions were incorrect.

I would recommend running CS Repair: [www.digitalrebellion.com] . If that doesn't fix it, see Adobe's recommendations here: [kb2.adobe.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
August 07, 2011 12:41AM
Thanks Jon! That sounds like it might be the problem. I'll give it a shot.

- Justin Barham -
August 10, 2011 10:08PM
Hmmm. No luck. Avid export was checked OK. Premiere just isn't playing nice.

- Justin Barham -
August 14, 2011 03:44PM
There's the other option, and that is to send it via the BMD DaVinci Resolve. I haven't tried using RED in Avid. But with the Resolve (free version), you can do a one light from your AAF, then render to ProRes and export an xml into FCP Classic (of course, with an XML, it can bring you straight into After Effects).

www.strypesinpost.com
August 14, 2011 08:16PM
Workflows involving Resolve 8 interest me. But don't you need a $500 add-on to access DNxHD? Or is that no longer the case with Resolve 8?

- Justin Barham -
August 14, 2011 10:56PM
You need the plugin for DNxHD. The only way to get around buying the plugin is to consolidate/ transcode to 1:1x. However, the Resolve can read Redcode. So that can be your solution. But I haven't tried red workflows with the Resolve and Avid yet.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 15, 2011 05:44PM
It's not the worse thing in the world buying that plugin. But it wouldn't make sense for me unless I had a setup where I was regularly throwing to Resolve.

MC 5.5, CS5.5, Resolve 8. Some interesting, affordable options out there these days.

- Justin Barham -
August 19, 2012 01:59PM
Update: It looks like Adobe is working on going Avid AAF to Premiere in their Labs. Good deal.

[blogs.adobe.com]

- Justin Barham -
August 22, 2012 02:18PM
Yea. There are a few interesting things in Labs- RED Color 3, extensions (and the Pond5 plugin). But do bear in mind that they are in beta, and there may still be bugs.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics