Mac Pro specs OK for Avid MC?

Posted by DM 
DM
Mac Pro specs OK for Avid MC?
September 26, 2011 10:50PM
before I take the plunge into MC 5.5, does anyone see an issue with these specs from my Mac Pro? I do not have a raid array. I edit DV, XDCAM-EX and P2.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Re: Mac Pro specs OK for Avid MC?
September 26, 2011 11:17PM
Although it isn't officially listed on the site, I don't believe you'll run into problems, as long as your OS and QT is up to date. The site lists processors both newer and older than yours (all the way down to the core2duo family). Macs only use a limited range of processors and hardware components, and Avid should do fine with all of those after the PPC era and as long as you meet the minimum requirements. Naturally, recommended and better than recommended configurations (when compatibility isn't an issue) run best.

You may not experience optimal performance with AMA (either way, not too many people use AMA directly).

Not having a raid is fine, although I would recommend a RAID both for reliability and performance.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 27, 2011 02:13AM
Remember to install the latest version, 5.5.3, because this is the only version of MC qualified for OS X 10.6.8 and 10.7.0. 10.7.1 support should be coming soon.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 27, 2011 02:59AM
I'm running 5.5.2 on OS10.6.8 with no issues. OS10.6.8 because was the OS around when FCP X was released. But they fixed some bugs in the 5.5.3 update.

www.strypesinpost.com
DM
September 27, 2011 08:15AM
thx for the replys.....
September 27, 2011 01:07PM
What you can actually do is download the trial and see if it works. You can authorize the trial version when the box arrives. That's what I did.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics