Quicktime in Avid

Posted by Mike Hardcastle 
Re: Quicktime in Avid
January 19, 2012 05:35AM
Honestly its not an issue - in the post-house I am currently working at they often take offline from Avid MC and Online in FCP/Da Vinci.

In another they online in DS from MC, FCP and Premiere.

None of them have any issues.

Have fun with the project and let us know how it all goes!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
January 21, 2012 04:21PM
Ben King Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have fun with the project and let us know how it
> all goes!

Thanks, Ben - I will.

Speaking of elves: [www.trademe.co.nz]

BTW - I wasn't joking about Eric Blair...
February 22, 2012 07:48PM
Ben King Wrote:
> If you have SD and you are delivering HD and if
> you have an AJA, Blackmagic or Matrox card with
> Hardware Upscaler then I'd recommend upscaling all
> your footage to ProRes 422 1080i50 HD on ingest so
> you don't have to deal with upscaling later. We
> are doing this on the BBC series I'm currently
> working on and is a big timesaver storage is cheap
> and you'll only end up wasting RAID space
> rendering the the SD to HD later!

Well - I've now started on the first stage of the job. I'm using a Matrox Mini and the upscaling looks really good to me.

The plan had been that upscaling would be done in another facility using a Snell and Wilcox standards convertor.

Would the result be any better from the S&W as opposed to the Matrox ?

cheers

Mike
February 22, 2012 10:05PM
Not having done upscaling via the Matrox before the only way to tell would be to get clips of both and compare side by side.

A good way to test would be to:

1. Take an HD original then downconvert to SD
2. Up convert the SD via both/all options
3. Overlay the up-converted SD on the HD original and use the difference layer mode to see where the detail differs.

The more detail shows up the more difference there is. No difference would show black.

Have a quick look at Graeme's old article on Chroma sub-sampling to see how difference modes can help you judge image quality degradation from the original.

[www.nattress.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 23, 2012 03:06PM
Excellent idea. I'll try that. Thanks, Ben. I presume in step 3 you meant 'overlay the up-converted SD on the HD original' ?

Mike
February 23, 2012 03:26PM
Yep sorry the "Upconverted SD"

And doesn't make a difference (excuse the topical pun) whichever is on top.

If you refresh your browser will see that I never officially made that mistake... winking smiley

February 23, 2012 06:22PM
Ben King Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you refresh your browser will see that I never
> officially made that mistake... winking smiley

How blithely we re-write history these days. Orwell would have had things to say about that... smiling smiley

Also - I'm not sure that your excellent idea is going to work. As far as I can see, the Matrox can only upscale an input coming off tape. If I downscale from HD, I will end up with an SD file - Prores or whatever. I can't think of a way to then re-upscale that through the Matrox. Be no good sending it out to tape and bringing it in again.

So I'm thinking I'll capture the same piece of footage twice - once as SD and then again upscaled to HD. I'll get the SD version put through the S&W and then compare that with the Matrox version.

Hopefully I'll learn something.

Mike
May 27, 2012 11:21PM
I have had some bad experiences with AMA. Crash happy. Not as stable. There are also media management limitations because it's not part of the media database the same way it would be if you imported it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics