I cannot believe I am running Symphony 6 on a laptop...

Posted by grafixjoe 
I cannot believe I am running Symphony 6 on a laptop...
April 25, 2012 10:58PM
If you would have told me 20 years ago when I started professionally in Post Production that 20 years in the future I would be running a full blown Symphony on a laptop with a "timeline" full of High Definition footage twice the size of SD and it wouldn't even be breathing hard, I would have thought you were high. Well...just installed my fully upgraded Symphony 6.0.1 on my MBP and I am already cutting. I haven't touched an Avid in 9 years but thanks to Apple, I am relearning the 2 NLEs I walked away from many years ago (Symphony / Premiere). Avid really has not changed much from the looks of it. Premiere has...but they had to in order to catch up. Interesting times ahead moody smiley)

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Re: I cannot believe I am running Symphony 6 on a laptop...
April 26, 2012 12:27PM
How are the color correction tools? I am thinking about it, except that I have already gotten the MC6 upgrade and I'm looking to upgrade to CS6 (OpenCL support, finally), so I am on the fence, but leaning more towards not going to Symphony. Dont really need Universal Mastering as I can do that in Compressor or AE. Symphony comes with Boris, and the last updates have been priced similar to MC upgrades, although I think that will change because MC now doesn't come with Boris. I'm not so cool with the price of Boris (similar to buying Furnace on Flame) and would rather get RG's MB suite for Avid except that they haven't ported Colorista 2 over to Avid, apparently because of Avid's AVX architecture, which may be modernized in the near future (and that may break existing Boris plugins again).

www.strypesinpost.com
April 26, 2012 12:38PM
FAST! I too will be upgrading to CS6 soon as well. I just wanted to have the Symphony on my system (wanted the BCC package). Never know when a client may ask for it. I think I will be doing the bulk of my work on CS6 when FCP7 dries up.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 26, 2012 01:34PM
For my home rig, I'll probably be working in MC, and do effects based work in AE, and do color touch ups in the Resolve/SpeedGrade. For shorter projects that are more effects heavy, i'll probably work directly in PPro for better integration with AE. Yea, not too sure why I'll need Boris, since half the stuff I can do with Boris, I can do in AE. But it's nice to have quick drag and drop effects.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 26, 2012 04:10PM
< "I'm looking to upgrade to CS6 (OpenCL support, finally)" >

It looks like only the AMD ATI Radeon HD 6750 and 6770 OpenCL cards will utilize the Mercury play back engine in PPro CS6. And that's only on the MBP. Last night at the LAFCPUG meeting I talked to Al Mooney, Product Manager of Pro Video Editing for Adobe. Of course CS6 uses the Mercury play back engine (Cuda). But only the ATI 6750 and 6770 will work. But, I told him I had the ATI 5770 OpenCL card in my Mac Pro. He said it won't utilize it, but, to look online for a ____ that will make it work. I'm hoping maybe ATI will update their drivers so all of the OpenCL cards will work. It's too early to tell.

Last nights LAFCPUG meeting was a first for me. I was here in LA from Tucson helping my daughter with something, so I was able to go to the meeting. Thank you to Michael Horton and everyone else for a great meet. I had a great time.
April 27, 2012 05:58AM
Thanks, Russ. Yea, I'm running them on a MBP. Been waiting for that PPro speed bump for awhile now. I'm always a bit apprehensive of cracks. Because getting things to work with a crack is half the battle. The other half comes when you are trying to upgrade and you're afraid something may break, and especially with firmware and drivers, you can't downgrade them too easily.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics