3 Brain Machine

Posted by ClayC 
3 Brain Machine
July 17, 2013 06:42AM
Hey all,

I need to get a suite up and running with MC7. Coupla questions:

1. Can FCP7, PPro CC, and Avid MC7 all live happily on the same machine?

2. Anybody running this on a 16GB RAM iMac? (Mountain Lion iMac + 2nd 27" monitor + BMD Ultrastudio)

3. What's the learning curve like for an FCP7/PPro guy?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Clay
Re: 3 Brain Machine
July 17, 2013 09:03AM
Hi Clay,

I have MC7, Premiere Pro CC, FCP7 and Resolve Lite running on my Macbook Pro. No issues that I know of. The only thing you need to be aware of is that MC usually qualifies Mac OS's late, while Premiere tends to like the latest NLE. The reason is because Premiere loves GPU, so the latest OS's provide the latest GPU drivers.

As for the learning curve, I feel that exposing yourself to the way Avid works helps you in Premiere, and vice versa. There are functions in Avid that are more similar to Premiere than it is in FCP. Eg. Trim, Sync locks, swap edits, ripple to playhead, extend edit, etc.. Once you get a hang of dynamic trimming in Avid and how the trim tools work, you almost don't want to use FCP for trimming.

I did a bit of the FCP to Avid comparisons a few threads down:
[www.lafcpug.org]

The only thing I would say that is different in MC7 from when that thread came up, is that AMA now takes embedded alpha channels, although it doesn't consolidate AMA-ed clips with alpha channel. Also, overall AMA has improved in terms of responsiveness and speed of waveform generation.

But yes, expect the learning curve to be steeper than in Premiere, because Premiere lets you operate a lot like FCP, where Avid doesn't do it as much. I use a hybrid set of keys between FCP, Avid and Premiere, and they are all quite similar.

A big tip to folks learning Avid is to take it bit by bit. First figure out how to set up media creation settings, and then learn the modes (source/record mode, segment mode), then learn how the basic edit functions work, and once you're comfortable with the editing functions, then move on to effects. Effects should always be the last thing to learn in Avid, because it is quite different from the other NLEs and there are some rather dated effects in Avid.

Also, I find it easier to learn Avid by going backwards in time and ignoring some of the later geewhiz features such as AMA and the Smart Tool. These were kind of built on top of the traditional Avid editing paradigm.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: 3 Brain Machine
July 17, 2013 10:23AM
Hey Gerard,

nice one, that thread. Thanks so much for taking the time to share all of that experience, excellent.

Looks like I'll be spending the better part of August diving in. Although PPro has definetly picked up where FCP7 left off, Avid is definetly going through a revival (at least in this market). No way around it now.

Best,
Clay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics