HI, and Some Speed Mod wierdness.

Posted by NickM in Amstedam 
Hi, all.
I'm suposed to be part of this forum, but I'm actualy on holidays.
Sitting in an internet caffe in Amstrerdam, next to the grand old Tuschinski theatre, where the latest Jerry Bruckheimer rolercoaster is playing
For fairly obvious reasons, I dont have my laptop open next to me with Final Cut Pro running.

Just recieved my first 'Bug report" email, so here I am anyway.

I might as well say somethng usefull, so here is one gem that wasnt fixed in the update from 4 to 4.01.
-----------------------------------------------

After modifying speed the old fashioned way (Apple-J) in the vewer, as opposed to the timeline, I cant mark an in or out point with out the playhead shooting to either the start or end of the clip (whichever is closer, I think)

Even after changing the speed back to 100%, the playhead shoots off when I enter an in or out.
Rather disconcerting when you are watching a clip and getting the feel for a moment.
The only "cure" I could find was re-importing the clip.

Nick
I've seen many reports of this one Nick, but so far i can't replicate it in 4.0.1. Is it a master clip? Does it have affiliates somewhere that might explain why I don't see it?

1) I open a Master Clip in the Viewer from the Browser. It has no affiliates anywhere in the project.

2) I clear any existing In/Out points.

3) I Modify > Speed 200%, no frame blending.

4) I set In and out points - no problem.

5) I edit it into a sequence, and it plays OK.

Wonder what you might be doing differently than this very simple case?

Oh yeah, and be careful there in Amsterdam. It's not exactly the water that will get you, but I've heard stories about something odd going on there...

--Ralph
Slow mo weirdness.

Master Clip.
Open.
Apple J %50 frame blend.
Playhead shoots to tail.
Put playhead some where in middle. Play to find in point. Mk in. Playhead shoots to tail.
shift i back to in point, Play.
Mark out. playhead keeps playing. OK
Back to in. play again, mark new in. Play continues OK.
Playhead does NOT shoot off if there is an out point.
Marking a new in after an out, deletes the existing out, of course, and the playhead shoots off to the tail again.

Master clip, non master, same behaviour.

Pattern is:
Mark in while moving causes Playhead shoot to Head of clip, and continue playing from head
Mark in while stationary causes Playhead to shoot to Tail of clip.

Removing out point while stationary causes Playhead to shoot to Tail
Removing out point while moving causes Playhead to shoot to Tail
Removing in and out point while stationary causes Pyhead to shoot to Tail
Removing in and out point while moving causes Playhead to shoot to Head, and continue playing.

I dont get this behaviour in V3
Nick
It's all repeatable on my system. I don't remember v4 doing doing this, on the other hand I'm not sure I ever changed speed on a clip in the Browser. This only happens on Browser clips. Doesn't seem to happen on sequence clips of course because they always have out points.

All the best,

Tom
noticed the same thing - happens in FCP4 as well.

very annoying. the workaround would be to go to the motion tab in the browser - switch speed to 50% - then edit happily. you can switch back to 100% the same way and you won't have any mark in on the fly problems.

dan
More Speed weirdness
August 27, 2003 07:32PM
More speed weirdness and nasty too.

Open a clip from the Browser into the Viewer.

Change the speed down to 50%.

Go off and do something else like open a couple of other clips into the Viewer.

Go back to the original clip with the speed mod and change the speed back to 100%.

The speed is fixed but the clip is twice as long and the back half is black.

This happens on a clip with no I/O set. If you do have I/O set you may not get the black half, but the playhead shooting off to the end happens even with an Out point set.

There are also weirdness on the ends of subclips with speed changes. It does some weird frame blending thing with the fields of the adjacent shot.

All the best,

Tom
I first noticed this in V4.0
I often Matchfame a clip into the viewer to do a slow-mo, before cutting it back into the TL.
I'm pretty sure that if it's a master clip, then if will afect the browser clip as well.
I'll check that.
And the extra black.
And I'll try the motion tab, too, thanks

Nick
Tom,
I couldn't replicate the double length with black, when I TRIED too, by running thru the steps you outlined, but I'm pretty sure I've had it happen to me in the past.
Fairly recently, too, but at the time I just powered on.

What does that mean for the bug hunt?
I mean I'm sure it happens, but it seems quite random.

Dan:
I tried your motion tab workaround, but it didnt work.
I still got the playhead shoting off when I marked an in point,
both while the clip was speed-modified, and after.

Nick
Something weird this is going on under the hood, for sure.
Whie provoking FCP 4.0.2 by fiddling with the "Time remap curve/Constant-Variable toggle" in the viewer I occationally get the "Unable to complete command. A conflict ocurred during trim a operation." dialog. And this is without a single sequence created.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics