Deleting thru-edit deletes downstream clip markers

Posted by Ralph Fairweather 
When I delete a through-edit, FCP deletes any clip markers on the downstream clip as well.

1) Put a clip in the TL, and razor blade it into 2 clips.

2) Put 2 clip markers (not TL markers) on both of the 2 resulting clip segments. That is, put 2 markers on the clip segment before the through-edit, and 2 markers on the clip segment after the through-edit.

3) Delete the through-edit.

ACTUAL RESULT: FCP keeps the 2 markers before the through-edit, but delets the 2 markers after the clip edit.
EXPECTED RESULT: FCP would keep all 4 markers, including the 2 markers after the through edit.

Re: Deleting thru-edit deletes downstream clip markers
August 22, 2003 03:19AM
Can't reproduce that one. I'm tried on a clip and a subclip and it worked as expected.

All the best,

Tom
yep
August 22, 2003 07:28AM
same here. Exactly...

markers added before the blade do not do this. Never came up for me before, but if you add them BEFORE the blade, they both stay in each other's handles, and the joining through doesn't wipe either one.

This means that they are dupes of each other and not direct affiliates of the original master, which doesn't have the two markers? and yet if you add them after, they ARE direct affiliates, because only the one marker is there. Dang this makes my head swim. I think I need more coffee.

I think I'll go do something easy like figure out why mu component signal is lousy...
Re: Deleting thru-edit deletes downstream clip markers
August 22, 2003 07:41AM
Changed my mind. I see what i did wrong.

The behavior is the same in 3.0.4. When you delete the edit you're extending the first half of the shot, the version of the shot with only the first two markers.

All the best,

Tom

All the best,

Tom
yeah
August 22, 2003 07:55AM
you are right sir. But its wonky. Join through edit should simply join a through edit, not extend one edit to complete the remainder of the clip IMHO
But what if you've bladed the shot and put 2 different filters or motion effects on either side of the blade????

Or more commonly, bladed an audio clip to affect an instant level change.
Or changed the name?

Maybe once a clip has been altered, it shouldnt be considered a though edit.
But I find it usefull to know if a clip is continuous over a cut.

Nick

But what if you've bladed the shot and put 2 different filters or motion effects on either side of the blade????

Good point Nick. Since markers are anchored to a single frame, i think they are a special case, and should be honored in all cases of deleting a through edit. There's no good reason can see to delete them, other than the cost of the code engineers and accompanying pizza.

As for filters, I personally would expect to see all filters on both sides preserved. The idea is to not destroy work, needlessly. If you want to simply extend the through edit and wipe out all parameters on the second clip, you can always do an extend edit. I don't think deleting a through edit should be treated simply like an extend. We already have extend in our toolbox.

As for audio levels, i would expect a keyframe at the point of the throughedit.

Good one! Oscure, but good No matter which direction you Extend, it'll wipe out the markers in that direction.
How much is pizza in Cupertino?

- Loren
Today's FCP4 keytip:
To resize all video or audio tracks:
press Option and drag any divider!

FCP4 KeyGuide? now available at
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics