Media Manager mangles subclip names

Posted by Ralph Fairweather 
Dang!!

The Media Manager still mangles the names of unique clips when you do a MM > Delete Unused > Use Clip Names. This bug has been there since FCP 3!!$$##@@!!

Suppose you capture a 20 min master clip called "Tree." You break it up into numerous short clip segment selects and very carefully give them each unique names, based on a scheme you've given at least a few seconds of forethought to, such as

Tree 1,
Tree 11,
Tree 111,
Leaf,
Shrub1,
Shrub1a,
Bush,
Dean 2004,
Arnie 2008,
ArrianiaAt11, and
Yaks1Bozos0.

You edit them into a rough cut sequence, and now you want to consolidate, and carry on.

So, you do a MM > Create Offline > Delete unused > Use Clip Names, and recapture. Now your unique clip names in the sequence and Browser have unnecessary numbers added onto the end, so you get:

Tree 1,
Tree 11 1,
Tree 111 2,
Leaf 3,
Shrub 1 4,
Shrub 1a 4,
Bush 5,
Dean 2004 6,
Arnie 2008 7,
ArrinaAt11 8,
Yaks1Bozos0 9.

This is not useful....

What is absolutely NUTS though, is that there is also a bug such that FCP does NOT even add that leading space to the extra numbers it appends, on the SOURCE FILE. So if you capture, look in your Capture Scratch, you see:

Tree 1,
Tree 111,
Tree 1112,
Leaf3,
Shrub 14, (includes Shrub 1a, because of auto-coalesce)
Bush5,
Dean 20046,
Arnie 20087,
ArrinaAt118,
Yaks1Bozos09.

So now, your new Mmed sequence contains clips that mess up your naming scheme one way in the browser/sequence, and a totally other way in on the HD.

BIG PROBLEM: Try a search for clip Name Equals > "Shrub 1a" or "Dean 2004" or heck, even "Bush," in the Mmed project, to take it into Shake or AE or to archive. You can't use Search in the browser to find it, or search on the HD, because MM has wiped out the name you gave the clip.

Am I missing something here, or does this make it all but impossible to reliably use a media management strategy in a complex project where you give unique names to 1,000 or more multiple clip segments made from bigger master clips, if you plan to consolidate at any time?

--Ralph

More MM name madness
August 24, 2003 11:51AM
ho boy. Here we go again with the MM.

This time the MM has wrongly given the name of one certain clip in my MMed project to about 6 other master clips in the new project. It does the media names on disk OK, but it gives a totally wrong name to the clip in the MMed project pointing to that media file.

In particular, the MM gave the clip name of the absolute last name in the list - when sorted alphabetically - to the first clip in the list, when sorted by reel name. And then it gave that same name to 5 other master clips. I can see no p[attern to the others.

PARTICULARS: I'm recompressing a few hundred DV clips to OfflineRT, for sharing with 5 others on the project. Some were captured in FCP 3, others in FCP 4.0.1 I have no sequences yet, just logged clips, with unique names. Most are master clips with no affiliates. A few are subclips.

I selected a single bin with numererous sub-bins and master clips inside and did a Recompress > DID NOT CHECK DELETE UNUSED > Use clip Nmaes > Dupe items/New Project.

The last clip in the entire batch alphabetically is "Waren work frm outside/from reel WL1." After the MM operation, in my Browser in the new MMed project, the following master clips are ALL wrongly named "Waren work frm outside" - "Starhawk Reads/reel PP01" "Blume Bower Mstr 3/AA4" "Nicole 1/BKR1-A" "Nicole/BKR1-A 3" "Lani 1/BKR1-A" "Dan 1/DE1"

Interestingly, "Starhawk Reads" is on reel PP01, which sorts as the first reel name, in the logging column.

Fortunately, i have not begun any editing yet, and i can correct this, by showing the Source column in the browser and checking it carefully against the clip name column. Even though it's tedious. However, I dunnoo.... I'm getting nervous now.

--Ralph
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics