Autoselect changes - Control-V get's sticky

Posted by Tom Wolsky 
Autoselect changes - Control-V get's sticky
August 22, 2003 03:12AM
The 4.0.1 update seems to have made some chances to the autoselect function. It also seems to have made Control-V a bit sticky.

Sometimes I'll hit it and see the Sequence menu flash indicating something's happening in that menu, but no Add Edit is execute. If I select the clip Control-V functions. This seems to be a sticky problem because it happens rarely.

Some else saw the same thing on one of the lists. I'm not sure what prevents the function, but I suspect it's something to do with autoselect.

All the best,

Tom
not seen yet
August 22, 2003 07:57AM
Still working fine. Is this random or always with a bunch of layers?
Re: not seen yet
August 22, 2003 08:03AM
Seems to be with a bunch of layers, even if there's nothing on them. Try as I might I can't make it do it again. I must have been doing something silly.

All the best,

Tom
Re: Control-V
August 22, 2003 05:26PM
Can't check it now, I'm having to rebuild everything.

But in my recent experience i get this behavior when playing and making Ctrl-V edits. They don't show up until i stop play. It sounds like an intermittentent screen re-draw problem. Next time you see it, try resizing the TL, to force a redraw.
Re: Control-V
August 25, 2003 12:08PM
I think I see waht's causing the problem. It is related to the new autoselect behavior. What happens is if something else is selected in the Timeline Control-V doesn't work. The menu lights up, the item is selectable in the menus, but nothing happens. If everything is deselected it works correctly. This didn't happen with previous versions of the application. In 3.0.4 if something was selected in the Timeline, Control-V would still execute the Add Edit at the playhead.

All the best,

Tom
Tom-
[What happens is if something else is selected in the Timeline Control-V doesn't work. ]

Strange. I'm not getting ANY these issues in 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 with or without selections-- don't recall this on 4.0 either.

1) with a clip selected, I can Add Edit to one or more tracks outside selected clip.

2) i can Add Edit inside the selected clip

3) I can Add Edit to a clip even with an Edit Point selected.

3) I can Add Edit to audio only, video only, one or all tracks, in either case.

[In 3.0.4 if something was selected in the Timeline, Control-V would still execute the Add Edit at the playhead.]

It still does, but now track AutoSelect is strictly observed. Even if a clip is selected, if your AutoSelect disables the track, you won't slice it. Sort of like locking a track. Incidentially, explicitly locking a track overrides AutoSelect-- which overrides clip or edit point selection!That's one way of appreciating the new control hierarchy.

Now for some this could be an issue. Selection has *always* taken precedence in FCP operations, like Ralph has said many times. Frinstance, in the timeline you can't apply clip markers without selecting the clip-- they just become timeline markers. If a clip is selected, you can't zoom to the playhead if it's somewhere else-- you'll zoom around the selection. Selection has always been the priority, so AutoSelect intros a significant change.

The deposit of red "editmarks" in the timeline is all the feedback I need to know the function's working. I expect the actual redraw to occur after the live pass is halted. (This is how Avid works as well.) A very decent tradeoff for LIVE Add Edits, mehtinks.

I confirm that the Sequence menu does flash when you invoke Control-V.

From my POV, Add Edit has arrived, big time, and works best with AutoSelect.

Command 1,2,3 etc for Video AS... Option 1,2,3 etc for Audio AS!

- Loren
Today's FCP4 keytip:
To resize all video or audio tracks:
press Option and drag any divider!

FCP4 KeyGuide? now available at
www.neotrondesign.com
1) with a clip selected, I can Add Edit to one or more tracks outside selected clip.

I can repeat this every time. I will not execute an Add edit if a clip is selected and the playhead is not sitting over the selected clip.

This is in 4.0.2. This may be system specific.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics