Names don't sort with alpha-numeric padding

Posted by Ralph Fairweather 
In certain circumstances, my clip markers don't sort correctly in the browser, when I turn them into subclips. So Marker 11 sorts before Marker 2, etc.

1) Set 11 markers in a master clip captured in FCP 4.0.1, in a project started in FCP 4.0.1.

2) In the browser, twiddle open the clip and drag out the markers.

3) Sort browser by name column.

RESULT: They sort as marker 1, marker 11, marker 2
EXPECTED: Marker 1, Marker 2, Marker 3.

Hasn't it always been that like Ralph? FCP never followed natural order. I think it always went on alphanumeric ordering 1, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 2, 20, 21, etc.

The workaround has always been I think to set the Media Start Time or something like that for the sort order.

All the best,

Tom
Naw. That's a bug that was fixed in FCP 2, I think. FCP 3 at the latest. Try regular clips in the browser root level. It sorts properly. It's only these markers and segments that sort wrong.
I hate to contradict Ralph. Yes, clips in the Browser have followed natural order beginning in 3 I think, but segmented subclips have always followed alphanumeric ordering. I just tried it in 3 and it works exactly the same way 1, 10, 11, 2, 20, 21. I don't know why these segment subclips do this, but it's not new.

All the best,

Tom
Okay Tom, you got me :-)

I still consider this a bug, however. It's just a bug that has been there from day one. Markers and segments should sort alpha-numerically, just like clips, as far as i can see. Messes me up when I have several dozen sets of hundred of them.

--Ralph
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics