Frequent freezes, hangs at end of long 32k captures

Posted by Ralph Fairweather 
I get freezes or hangs or stalls with about 1/2 of my long captures from 32k DV, shot on a VX 1000 and an XL-1. Can't see any pattern yet. Happens whether I capture to a FW drive or internal ATA, Stereo 1,2 or Stereo 3,4. I'm using a DSR 11 and a TRV11, on a Dul 1GB.

There are no TC breaks or audio gaps that i know of in any of these tapes. Doesn't happen in FCP 3.0.2 in OS 9, with same material.

I Batch captured one clip with the TC in at 0.10.00 and the out marked at 1.01.59.00, on a one hour miniDV tape. It froze at the end of the capture, where the screen says Completing capture" at the bottom.

Moved the Out point to shorten the capture by a little over 1 min, so the TC out was under 1 min, at 59.59.00 and it captured fine. But then i doubt if it is that simple, since I also have the same problem with captures that are 45 mins long, with no TC values rolling over the 1 hour mark.

So who knows. The clip is actually captured and saved OK, it just doesn't have any TC or reel number. I can import it and give it TC and a reel, and i guess it's OK. Don't know if it might be missing other meta-data that will bite me in yje rear, though, when i media manage.

--Ralph

Ralph-

No network connections or extraneous activity?
Drives unfragged?

Whenever I did long captures in FCP3.x I would get a "save lag"-- but in all the half hour capture's I've done in FCP4 I don't get this.

Note I am using new and relatively space-free LaCie D2 120GB dirves, daisyed t one FW port (until my Medea VideoRaid gets bought). These opsoed to the older LaCie blue and greys, which are real unstrustworthy dogs.

- Loren
Today's FCP4 Default Keytip:
Toggle live audio keyframe recording with Command-Shift-K !

Your keyboard revealed.
Visit KeyGuide? Central at
www.neotrondesign.com
My captures have all been on a non-networked CPU.

In particular, my captures were long captures with 32k audio material. Were you capturing 32k audio material, over about 40 mins?

--Ralph
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics