Ripple tool cant select outside edge of fade

Posted by NickM 
Ripple tool cant select outside edge of fades

This has always been there, and has always been stupid.
If I have a dissolve on the head or tail of a clip to act as a fade in, I cant select the outer edge or the fade with the ripple tool.

Workaround till now has been to either cut the dissolve prior to trimming (apple X),
and pate back after ((Apple V)
OR to select the INNER edge of any fade clips then use the U key to toggle the selection to the outer edge, before selecting other clips.
OR use the track tool instead
This one I don't understand. What do you mean by grabbing the outer edge. The ripple tool can only work on an edit point. You can grab the end or beginning of the shot under the fade and drag it.

All the best,

Tom
The riple tool can work on a free floating end of a shot.
The Begining or the end, doesn't mater, it's still able to affect it.
Put a clip in the middle of an empty timeline and you can grab either end with hte ripple tool.
But it there is a fade in or out on the shot, you CANT grab the edge outside the shot.
You CAN grab the edge inside the shot. (ok if you wanted to add to the begining of the shot)

Very often I might have a small fade on head of an audio grab.
It may well be leading the image, and it may well have some overlay over it, so it's not linked to the first image that starts after it,
In that case, if I want to ripple the edit down or up, I cant select the outer edge of the audio.
I have to remove the fade to select the apropriate side of the audio.
or one of the other work-arounds I mentioned.

Cheers,
Nick
If there's a fade in or a fade out it's at the end or beginning of the shot. You can still grab it with the ripple tool even if the fade is over the top. If the effect is really short you might have it zoom into the edit point a lot, but you can still do it. I can select the outer edge of either the audio and/video with a fade up or down on it. The only problem is if there is a transitition on both ends and you want to ripple just the audio portion, then you get a clip collision because of the transition at the other end, but that's the only instance. I'd really have to see what you're doing I think to understand, because I'm not seeing a problem here.

All the best,

Tom
"You can still grab it with the ripple tool even if the fade is over the top"
But I cant! Nor have I ever been able to.
I'm talking about about a f/in from black, or rather NOTHING, not a fade from another clip, although I think you understand that.
I'll have another look, though.

Nick
If you have a cross dissolve as a start on edit transition and there's nothing in front of the clip, so it's not inline with anything in timeline, you can still grab the end of it with the ripple tool and pull the shot. Maybe this is weird NTSC/PAL difference or maybe a language version difference.

All the best,

Tom
Hi Nick, Tom,

I think this is what Nick is talking about.

1) You've got a Gap in the Timeline, followed by Clip A, and a dissolve on Clip A that starts on the cut, so the dissolve acts like a fade up from black.

2) You activate the Ripple tool, and try to ripple the outgoing end of the Gap, to lengthen or shorten the amount of gap before the fade up.

RESULT: You can't. The ripple tool shows the little x mark, indicating FCP won't ripple a gap.
EXPECTED: FCP would be able to ripple a gap, just like it can ripple a clip

WORKAROUND: Ctrl-clk, and fill the gap with Slug.

Is that what you mean, Nick? This is probably a feature enhancement rather than a bug, since FCP is doing what it's designed to do here, i suspect. It's just that the design could be a little more robust.

--Ralph
Hi, Ralph, yeah, that's what I'm trying to describe.

If it's designed to be like that, then it should be changed.
Somebody might have figured that nobody would want to grab the null point of a fade, but It does come up, believe me.
Especially, as I mentioned, with audio fades.

Nick
I get it. You want to ripple the empty portion of track. This has got to be a bug, or at least unfinished coding, because you can ripple the empty space if there is no transition there. In fact for some edits you have to command click the empty space to force a ripple or the app will pull the audio out of sync with the video, which is the dumbest think I've ever heard. It's been there since v1 and it's pissed me off majorly ever since.

All the best,

Tom
I would say that this behaviour is posibly some badly implemented code that has gone un-checked for 4 years.
But is sure feels like a bug.
Another clue is that you can actualy grab the INSIDE (Clip-side) of the fade in, and use U to toggle around to the OUTSIDE (Gap-side).

So we're agreed the problem exists.
Do we want to confirm it as a bug?

I havent used that cmd click technique.
I've probably just put the audio back i nsync, or used the Track tool, or some other clumsy aproach.
I'll have a look at that.

Nick
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics