Dragging Custom-Length Default Transitions from cut to cut changes length

Posted by NickM 
OK, this and the previous 2 I just added are all old issues.

Dragging Custom-Length Default Transitions from cut to cut changes length.

This has been around for a long time.

Modify the length of a transition in the effects tab of the browser, and select as the default transition.
Create a default transition on an edit, either with Apple T or Option Apple T in the timeline, or by using a "with transition" edit function.
Now move any default transition from one cut to another in the timeline, and the length becomes very short.
In fact this is very weird. The new duration is one 25th the original. (maybe 1/30th in NTSC)
A 2 second transition becomes a 2 frame transition.
3 seconds turns into 3 frames

This only appears when I have modified a transition length, before setting it as the default transition.
When I leave the default transition with the factory set length (one second) the behaviour is as expected.
If I create a custom length, I get the problem. The if I revert the length to the factory 1 second, ISTILL get the problem

ACTUAL BEHAVIOUR: Dragged or copy/pasted default transitions become a fraction of their original length,
DESIRED BEHAVIOUR: Dragged or copy/pasted default transitions maintain their editor specified length
Hi Nick,

I can confirm this behavior above in FCP 4.0.1, and suggest a workaround.

Another way to see this bug is to:

1) Change the duration of any transition in the Length column to 03;00 secs, for instance.

2) Open it into the Viewer and then drag it to the Favorites bin in the Effects tab.

RESULT: Length changes to 00:03.
EXPECTED: Length would remanin the same.

NOTE: In NTSC land, the default semi-colon in the Length column changes to a colon, anytime you change the duration of a transition. This may be a clue to the code cause of the bug.

WORKAROUND: Instead of changing the duration of the effect in the Effects tab > Length column, open it into the Viewer, change duration there, and then drag to Favorites tab. Then, in the Favorites tab, make that the default transition. When I do that, I get the desired behavior you describe.

Cool. Our first confirmed bug. Chawla, Tom, Peter, does this happen for you, too?

--Ralph
Hi all,

I get the same behavier as you do on my 4.01 in a PAL project.

Further more, if I select the dissolve in the TL, do an apple-C to copy the effect, move to a cut in the TL and apple-V to paste it, the lenght is reduced to 3 frames also, This does not happen with dissolves dragged from the effects tab.

I think you're on to something about the transition lenght beeing reduced from seconds to frames - If I apply the costum made default transition to a cut in the TL, select it in the TL and change it to, say, 12 seconds and drag the dissolve to the favorites folder in the effects tab, the length column shows 12 frames...

Interesting...

Peter
Good to have some confirmation, thanks
Peter: Yeah, I think cut and paste is where I first noticed it, "collapsing" some unweildy tracks into a more managable one or two.
BTW, I tested that "Reel before Track" bug, and it seems to be gone from 4.01, although you probably know that.

Ralph:
Thanks for the workaround. This is cool.

Cheers,
Nick
yep, same on both methods...
August 31, 2003 09:46AM
never saw it because I never change anything on the Effects tab or loaded into Viewer from the effects tab. Now where this SUCKS as a bug for my method is this:

I always create Favorites AFTER I have used it once, i.e. from the sequence. However, after I have created the favorite, I might like to change it in the effects tab. THEN this behavior kicks in. As Chico said, "Thassa no good, boss..."

Hey, welcome in Peter!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics