Sync problems

Posted by Tom Wolsky 
Sync problems
August 29, 2003 07:28AM
A number of people have reported sync drift issues in long form projects, over one hour on playback using 4.0.1. They have seen this on edit to tape from the cut sequence, or after export to QT and edit to tape directly from the QT file. I'm not in a position to test this. My studio computer's power supply has gone south. Can anybody test this? This should never fail.

There is in addition to Ralph's (I think) reports of sync loss on long captures, but that's a different problem, though the two may be related.

All the best,

Tom
Re: Sync problems
August 29, 2003 12:24PM
I've been cutting a feature film on FCP 4 (now 4.01) and I've had three screenings with running times of 3 hours 41 minutes, 3 hours and 6 minutes and 2 hours 41 minutes.

All three screenings were from DVD's made by DVDSP. I used FCP to output via compressor. The sequences are 23.98.

There were no instances of sync drift.

I have not tried to watch the whole film by playing it from the timeline or print to tape. However, when watching 20-60 minutes at a time on the timeline while editing, no sync issues.

G4 dual 1.25 768 ram. I have internal HD and external FW. I so see some dropped frames here and there while editing most likely due to the external FW drives.

Mitch
August 29, 2003 01:41PM
This is perhaps not the best test as there are a lot of other issues going on with 29.97fps material that are perhaps not handled the same way in a 23.98 sequence.

All the best,

Tom
August 31, 2003 12:32AM
The only synch issue I ever experience is when i first open a project and try playing the timeline-- on occasion it goes way out of synch.

Then I pause it and wait a few seconds, and play again, and it's all dead on.

In Avid they used to refer to an interval when the sequence was loading, called "building the pipes"-- linking pointers to actual media, taking especially significant time on complex or longform projects. I suspect that's what's happening here. But it's not a regular occurence, and on faster machies with more than enough RAM I'd be amazed to hear it's occuring.

I get no other synch issues. I check my drives and make sure no media-- not even renders-- are coming from the system drive-- I make make sure I'm at 48K incoming, in timeline and outgoing... and all is well.

- Loren
Today's FCP4 Default Keytip:
Toggle live audio keyframe recording with Command-Shift-K !

Your keyboard revealed.
Visit KeyGuide? Central at
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics