Workarounds for Clip Speed Problem?

Posted by ANDY 
Workarounds for Clip Speed Problem?
December 04, 2003 10:00PM
I've been hunting for other posts related to my problem, and I've found them, but not any workarounds that work for me. Checking to see what people are doing before Apple comes out with a bug fix.

The Problem:

Open master clip in the viewer.
Mark In and Out points and create a subclip.
Open Subclip in Viewer.
Change speed to 50%, frame blending.
Lay clip into timeline.

Clip name indicates 50% speed change, but in actuality is 33%, or sometimes longer. In the example above, the subclip was 3 seconds. The resulting clip in the timeline was 09:16.

If I lay the clip into the timeline and then perform the speed change, I tend to get the right result, but not always. On occassion, I get an "error occured" message, and then the Canvas turns solid red with the message, "Display unavailable. Close and reopen window to restore". If I close the Canvas, I will be unable to reopen the sequence and have to revert to an autosave.

Unfortunately, I can't replicate the 2nd problem everytime, but the 1st I can. However, when I get the 2nd problem, nothing seems to fix the problem. I've tried:

deleting all render files and re-rendering.
copying the media via media manager into a new project.
doing all my speed changes in another, empty sequence (same error occurs)
doing speed changes in Viewer without the subclip step.
doing speed changes in the Motion tab of clip instead of APPLE+J

Is there a workaround that I'm not thinking of? I haven't seen much in the forums lately (the last post I noticed here pertaining was in Sept.) All workarounds I noticed in other forums haven't worked for me.

Sorry, Andy,
I'm not able to check or confirm those speed change glitchesright now.
I havent had those particular one (Luckily) but have had others.
I know Toms take is that Speed change just flat put doesn't work.
And I'd say that the "doesn't work" part comes in all sorts of flavours.

I have had luck with this workaround:
Fit to Fill.
If I want a 50% slow down, I cut the clip into the timeline 2 times.
Use that as a guide for a new set of in/outs in the timeline, and then Fit to Fill.

The simple "make a subclip" aproach has also worked for me, especialy when making a reverse.
If that isnt working for you then maybe fit to fill wont either.
Heres hoping...

Nick
Command-J (SET SPEED), is all you need-- you simply apply to a highlighted clip AFTER editing into the timeline. Try that. It works properly.

The Time Remap function in the Motion Effects tab will give you a much different speed change effect, which reflects your description.

- Loren
Today's FCP4 keytip:
Open a bin in its own tab with Option-Enter!

The FCP4 KeyGuide? is the ideal holiday gift!
Now available at
www.neotrondesign.com
It doeesn't work for Andy, the first poster, Loren.
Or it didn't 2 weeks ago.
Updating to 4.1 might help.

Nick
I have a rather strange problem occasionally, When I change the speed of a clip to 50% with frame blending and reverse, a totally different part of the Master clip plays back. This is not consistant, this happens only with some master clips with a project.
this happens to me as well... what gives???
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics