Consistent crash with picture

Posted by Larry Jordan 
Consistent crash with picture
December 30, 2003 09:14AM
I get a consistent (i.e. everytime) crash when importing a grayscale picture into Final Cut's browser, then opening that picture in the Viewer.

However, when dragging the same picture directly from the desktop into the Timeline, there is no crash and everything works fine.

Here are the specifics:
* Scanned photo (either TIF or PICT, crash is the same) 1000 x 1200 x 72 (plus or minus 50 pixels on the dimensions). Created in PhotoShop. About 3.2 MB in file size.
* Dual 1 GHz G-4 with 1.5 GB RAM
* OS 10.2.6
* QT 6.5
* FCP 4.1 (I didn't upgrade to the Simplified Chinese version)
* Blackmagic codecs

The crash occurs whether it is an existing project or a new one, whether a new timeline or an existing one.

I have twelve pictures total. Of the four I tested, two will cause a crash everytime under this scenario, two others (which are smaller) don't. None of the pictures comes within 50% of FCP's file size limit of 4000 x 4000 pixels.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Larry
Hi, Larry

I dont know iof it's in the manual,
But I've seen it mentioned and I've had personal experiance:
Greyscale pics are no go in FCP.
Interesting you could hget some to work, but on the whole you're better off converting all to RGB.

All the Best,
Nick
Nick is right. Apple has a K-base doc on this and explains that if you simply convert to RGB all is well.

mike
OK, Mr. Smarty-pants....

The images WERE RGB and the crashes STILL occurred.

So there.

Nice try, but no cigar.

Larry
Hmmm...Greyscale pics will give you a Codec not found error and often crash your system. Maybe with 4.0 Greyscale just dont work, period.

mike
Re: Consistent crash with picture
December 23, 2004 04:21PM
All you have to do (if the images are in fact RGB) is this...

1. Close & save project

2.Re-boot

3. open a prevous project or untitled project

4. import the files (.tiff, .jpg, psd, targa--whatever) into the new project

5. re-open your current project.

6. drag the files from the untitled project into your current project

& thats it.

For some reason, I get this bug from time to time, and while pesky--it's fairly easy to remedy.

I'm running on a g5 dual 2 w/ FCP HD and first encountered this bug in the initial upgrade from FCP 4.0 to HD.

Hope this makes a lot of folks day go a little smoother.

Richard "Spyda" Bonnin
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics