XML import bug in 4.5

Posted by Peter Reventlow 
XML import bug in 4.5
May 19, 2004 04:40AM
After updating to FCP 4.5 I noticed XML import does not behave as it should do according to the manual. My Automatic Duck Import Pro plug-in does not work correct (refusing to import all tracks in a sequence), and Automatic Duck told me that Apple has indeed changed something in the XML implementation in 4.5.
Now I have discovered new issues with XML import.
If I, using FCP 4.1, import an XML file with embedded importoptions set to NOT create a new project, FCP just imports it in an existing project, just as it should do. If I try the same thing in 4.5, FCP asks me to create a new project - not the correct thing to do.

Could any of you please verify this?

Copy and paste the text below into an empty TextEdit document, select "Make Plain Text" in the menu "Format" and save it using an .xml fileextension.

Create a new project in FCP.
Import this in FCP using menu File -> Import -> XML...
Does it want to create a new project?
What version of FCP are you using?
It is also supposed to not display an error upon import - does it do that?

If the lines get mangled in the webbrowser download the same XML file here:
[www.dharmafilm.com]

All the best - Peter
Using FCP 4.5 OS X 10.3.2 QT 6.5.1

Copy and paste into TextEdit from next line ---->
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE xmeml>
<xmeml version="1">
<importoptions>
<createnewproject>FALSE</createnewproject>
<targetprojectname>No name</targetprojectname>
<defsequencepresetname>DV PAL 48 kHz</defsequencepresetname>
<displaynonfatalerrors>FALSE</displaynonfatalerrors>
<filterreconnectmediafiles>TRUE</filterreconnectmediafiles>
<filterincludemarkers>FALSE</filterincludemarkers>
<filterincludeeffects>FALSE</filterincludeeffects>
<filterincludesequencesettings>FALSE</filterincludesequencesettings>
</importoptions>
<bin>
<name>My xml-imported bin</name>
<children>
<clip>
<name>Jeremy Solo</name>
<duration>188</duration>
<rate>
<ntsc>FALSE</ntsc>
<timebase>25</timebase>
</rate>
<in></in>
</clip>
</children>
</bin>
</xmeml>

Re: XML import bug in 4.5
May 19, 2004 05:20AM
I've not used XML, but it works on my system the way you describe. Same as yours except OS 10.3.3. It seems the Format popup in the Import dialog is broken, or at least stuck on Project.

All the best,

Tom
Yes, it prompts with a save dialog for the new project here as well.

Same config as Tom.
4.1 and 4.5 act the same here
May 19, 2004 05:34AM
I got this error log to go with them in both:

Wed, May 19, 2004, 7:46 AM - Errors Found Importing testxml.xml
bin:children:clip(Jeremy Solo) - Unknown key (in) encountered.( line 10 )

Both 4.1.1 and 4.5 created a new project on entering FCP using this xml file. I'm assuming the sit file is exactly the same as the text in your post, right, I used your download. Did the rest of you guys test in both?

10.3.3 and 6.5.1

Now if I create the XML from FCP 4.1 or 4.5, on import, it responds properly to the command to eiither generate a new project or use my choice. So I'm seeing in both its ignoring the imbedded tag to false the createnewproject.
Chawla,

The text in my post and in the .sit file are the same.

There is one (other) odd thing about FCP 4.1.1 and XML import;
If you click on the browser and then imports the XML file using the menu Import, you get the behavior I wrote about in my first post. But if you click on FCPs Viewer first and then imports using the menu Import, FCP asks you to create a new project even if the tag <createnewproject> is set to false.

I just found out because I was currios to why your system acted differently.

My FCP 4.5 wants to create a new project wether the Viewer or Browser is clicked on before the XML import.
BTW - thanks for mentioning the "Errors Found Importing testxml.xml" error. This type of error is supposed to be suppressed by the tag <displaynonfatalerrors> but it is apparently not.

Thanks
yep
May 19, 2004 06:12AM
confirm on that too, with regard to 4.1.1. 4.5 doesn't care which window is active. Weird. Perhaps because it doesn't have a target bin?
Re: yep
May 19, 2004 06:47AM
FCP (4.1.1 & 4.5) "should", if you're using embedded import option <createnewproject> set to FALSE, just import the XML file into the active project in FCP no matter what window is active. So, active-window wise, 4.5 is bug-free, it just does not respect the embedded <createnewproject> import option. 4.1.1 respects <createnewproject> as long as you have the browser window active.

June 02, 2004 05:21PM
Oh, yummy, yet another scripting language we're supposed to master for editing?? Holy cow.

<<<createnewlife>>><G>

- Loren
Today's FCP4 keytip:
Play to Next Marker with Control-Option-1 !

The FCP4 KeyGuide?: your power placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central
www.neotrondesign.com
September 15, 2006 02:44PM
I know this is an old post, but I ran into it via Google and it's likely to be searched for again. The reason you're prompted for a new project is this line in the xml

<targetprojectname>No name</targetprojectname>

indicates that you are importing into a project called "No name" which probably doesn't exist. I'm not sure why a default front most project is not used when it doesn't match or is null, but that seems to be the current behavior.

best,

Dale Bradshaw
Creative Workflow Hacks
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics