Final Cut Pro 4 "Unexpectedly quit"

Posted by DRock 
I go to open my project or the application and the color wheel spins, then after a couple of seconds the message "Final cut has unexpectedly quit no other applications have been affected" comes up. I can't open FCP anymore. I try opening the application and the project and the same thing happens. I was on the net the other day... is it possible that this is the cause? it is a legit version of fcp, but is there a file somewhere i can delete or another way around this... unfortunately my friend has my original cd and he's away and i need to fix this now...
This is a problem not a bug. Post this on the Cafe

mike
I got the same problem , I did reinstall the software and the problem persisted....any help out there ?
OB
Re: Final Cut Pro 4 "Unexpectedly quit"
October 29, 2004 06:18PM
The same thing happened to me.
Please Help!
OB
Justin
December 17, 2004 02:50AM
I have the same problem. I've posted more details in the Cafe.
Struggling with this -- found a post elewhere that associated it with COmpressor Probs.
Here it is:

"When I boot Final Cut Pro it statrs to load and then says
"The Application Final Cut pro has unexpectedly quit.
the system and other applicatioons have not been affected. Would you like to submit a bug report to Apple?

This has only just started happening. I have loaded Final Cut many times before.
Alos when I try double click on the compressor icon, it zooms at me but then does not load. Any ideas?"

the fix using Terminal did not help. re-installing program did not help.
I just figured it out. Download the OS 10.3.7 update. (I think this is the main source of the problem). Eventhough you already have it installed download it again. Run Verify & Disk permissions from your utilities folder. Install the 10.3.7 update. Reboot. Blow away anything associated with final cut pro (compresser, live type, etc...). Empty trash. Reboot. Reinstall full FCP install and wallah! I am so frigging happy I can't even tell you.
None of these have worked for me even the last suggestion.
I was, with my husband's help, able to fix the problem using a similar process to what MIke described. It is hard to get rid of all the associated files. There are instructions on the Apple site for uninstalling.

be sure to get the preferences.

Good Luck.
what does Verify disk permissions do, I have the same problem, but my computer won't let me update 10.3.7. any other suggestions , I am getting bummed.
I had a hard and frustrating time with this as well. You must do a complete uninstall, download the uninstall of FCP from the apple web site, you can't do just a search and delete all files that are FCP there are other related files that don't say FCP. As for the 10.3.7 update I had the same issue.It wouldn't let me update. You have to try another download of the update. ei. I tried a download from one page and it for some reason didn't work and then I tried a download from another page and it did work. Apple told me that when you do a reinstall that it automatically verifies your disk permissions. As I said this worked for me and I was having a really hard time with it. I almost wanted to just get an Avid instead. But if you follow the uninstall correctly it will work. I did call Apple for help and it was free, But you better have a legit copy and the Buyer reference number that comes with the software if you call them. I hope this helps.
NdP
hmmm FCP 4 doesnt have an uninstall

and so as you say its REALLY difficult to remove everything ... i'll try the 10.3.8 update first and then try to reinstall FCP but ... well lets see

THIS IS REALLY ANNOYING
Having the same problem.
Close to throwing my G5 out the window....

Guys

This is NOT a bug. Post this in the Cafe

[www.lafcpug.org]
strangely late yesterday, i did a FCP update and suddenly hey presto i could open up FCP - but have as yet logged back in today to see if it was a permanent goodie or just one of those late nite coincidences

heee
heh Mike, i notice that you seem to say this alot - what do you mean by "post it in Cafe"

we are posting in the cafe yawning smiley)
March 04, 2005 06:54PM
this is not the cafe. This forums is for Bugs only. This is the cafe

[www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics