FCP HD & SloMo

Posted by Tom Mitchell 
FCP HD & SloMo
July 26, 2004 09:06PM
I have observed a nasty little artifact in FCP 4.5 having to do with slow motion. The behavior is random but irratatingly democratic: it can affect new clips captured in 4.5, existing 4.5 clips, or clips captured in previous versions of FCP.

In a nutshell, the clip spontaneously remaps itself into variable speed with radically changed speed and/or direction. The most extreme observation was a clip imported in FCP 4.1 (approx 30 sec.) that remapped itself to around 5000% and played the entire master from whence it came...
On occasion, I have seen behavior in which as many as five of the starting frames are added to the end of the clip. When it does this, simply razor blading off the extra frames doesn't work - the clip shortens but the added frames remain.

I realize that we are probably in the minority in that we use slo-mo extensively in wedding videos (brides it that sh*t up), but since I can get it to repeat on two systems (1.42 GHz G4 DP and 1.25 GHz G4 DP) I'm pretty sure it's real. I believe it is related to corruption in the FCP clip data maintained in the project.

I've reported all this to FCP Pro Support several weeks ago, but haven't heard anything back yet.
Re: FCP HD & SloMo
July 26, 2004 09:19PM
If you are using this effect on clips longer than 15 minutes that have been captured with Capture Now then you will get this error. This is a known bug.

mike
MG
Re: FCP HD & SloMo
August 05, 2004 07:55PM
I have been noticing a similar bug in FCP 4 when adding / adjusting slo-mo on clips that have been reversed. Often the bugged clip shows up as a random freeze frame, as well as now being labeled variable motion. All my clips were captured in Batch capture - I did not use capture now. Your not alone in the use of slo-mo - I use it hundreds of times a day. This bug is a real time-killer.

FCP 4.1.1 Dual 800 1.2 gig ram QT 6.5
Re: FCP HD & SloMo_bug solved!
October 17, 2004 06:40AM
hi there
i got the same speedbug when reconnecting my offline dv-files, to online HD 10 bit (2k) files in FCP. it was a videoclip in wich the bandmembers all played the song in slomo and i speed it up in the edit for some nice freaky moves.
so all my offline footage had to be speedup. and when a reconnected it to the onlinefiles, they all became freezeframes!
i found out a workaround wich won't take a lot of time.
it solved my speed problems:

step1) export your sequence into a normal XML-export and close your project
step2) make a brand new and fresh project in FCP
step3) Inport your XMLfile of the offline timeline in your new project (ofcource, choose here the desired online-type of files)
Choose NOT to reconnect when importing!
step4) reconnect the offline clips in your bin (choose the onlinefiles (HD in my part)
step5) open your sequence from the xlm import and voila! the speedchanges are all ok! (didn't tested it with varialble speeds...)
greetings and good luck
joppo

fcp 4.5; dual 2.0; 1,5 ram; qt 6.5
I tried the given XML export solution and the export was successful but the import unto a fresh project failed. Any chance of another solution as i'm tearing my hair out by the second.

Thankx
Gikx :-(

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics