FCPHD4.5 OSX10.35 ProAppSup2.1 Quicksilver Macs

Posted by cseeman 
Using OSX 10.35, ProAppSupport 2.1, Quicksilver Macs and earlier, FCPHD4.5 crashes every few minutes (5-15 minutes or thereabouts).

This problem begain with the OS10.35, PAS2.1 software update predominantly (or exclusiverly) on Quicksilver Macs and earlier.

Apple is aware of the problem. They have contacted me directly by email and have asked me (and several other users) having this problem to send them crash logs on every crash so they may trouble shoot/debug this.

Trashing prefs, fixing permissions, force update prebinding (in terminal mode), archiver or clean install of OS and deinstall/reinstall of FCP will NOT fix the problem.

I'm kinda surprised I'm the only one hear reporting this. There's scores at the Apple Discussion area reporting this, some very veteran editors and long time FCP users who are having this problem. This is how Apple became aware of it.

If you'be been experiencing the above "issue" and have been banging your head (or any other storage media) against the wall thinking it's your system, it's likely not.

Again Apple is aware of the problem, have contacted many of us directly by email and are examining the crash logs and, at times, asking us to try some things (like force update prebinding).

Please use the Submit feature and send Apple your Crash Log on every instance. You should also use Feedback at

[www.apple.com]

to report the problem. There's a reasonable chance you'll get a response back asking to send your Crash Logs by email to an Apple employee.

I had emailed person at Apple that I've been in contact with that some had found the crashing stopped when Effects Handling was turned off. Of course doing that stops all real time effects.

I turned Effects Handling to None and have gone a day and a half without a crash (and without RT). That should point to something. Person at Apple called me back and said part of the problem they're dealing with is that nothing in the Crash Logs points to anything that would tie in to Effects Handling.

"Unofficially" if you're having problems with 10.35 and FCP, you should go back to 10.34.

It's predominantely affecting Quicksilver and earlier G4s but there are reports that match this issue comming from PowerBook and G5 owners too.
Great info Thanks for sharing

mike
I have done an archive and install of OS10.3.x and updated to 10.3.4. NOT a fun thing to do with all the other little things one bumps into to reinstall.

Did 2 hours of lite editing in FCPHD4.5 and had no crashes. Apple has not yet found the problem in 10.3.5 but, based on the fact that MANY people have reported turning Effects Handling to NONE stops crashes (and RT) as well as my experience of that too, I can't help but believe that the fingers are pointing to how 10.3.5 handles the graphics cards and/or RT. Apple has said the Crash Logs don't give them enough info to point to the exact problem though.
I have had my new G5, 2.5DP, 10.3.5, operational a little over two weeks and have had 10 quits. Turned off RT today and no quits so far.
Well...looks like its back to 10.3.4 for a lot of folks

mike
Now back at 10.3.4. Things are looking up. Even Hurricane Ivan might miss me. Two is enough.
I'm having the same problem, but every 3 to 4 actions I do. I have been saving after every thing I do, it unexpectedly quits and I submit to Apple.
One thing that I have changed recently, that has not been mentioned, was I upgraded my video card (ATI RADEON 9800 thingy, the $350 mac edition one) to be able to use motion. In edition to it unexpectedly guitting, it gave me an out of memory error, which I have never had since I was on my G3 400mhz.
I have submitted all reports to Apple when they arose. I gave up today around 5pm and watched the ALCS Game 1.....All I have to say is RED SOX IN 6!!!! KEEP THE FAITH!!!! I BELIEVE!!!!!!

Thanks for the help,
Darren
a recent report frm FCP-L sugests that autosave might be involved.

try turning off your autosave in user prefs and see what happens.

good luck,
nm
Interesting, cause for me it seems to crash most when playing through some realtime effects or when i'm trying to do something when Autosave is running, ironically due to the crashes I bumped up the Auto Save frequency.... maybe I shouldn't have...

I was just wondering if there was any more news or updates as to this problem. We just got a new G5 that has 10.3.5 so we're not anxious to reinstall everything if we don't have to.

Greg
Just a silly questions, but I want to make sure I'm on the same page... can you tell me exactly what you mean when you say turn effects handling off? Or better yet, give a quick play by play on how and where to do it?

Thanks for the help,

Greg
Hi,

Just got a new Dual 2.5, with OS 10.3.5 and FCP HD. It's been quitting all the time. I read in this thread that auto-save might have something to do with it and will check that out. I have a hunch that this may be true - combination auto-save and RT effects. Just a hunch. Since it is happening regularly it feels as though the system gets "confused" as to prioritizing an auto-save or executing a RT effect.

Hope others give this a shot and post their results. I also would prefer to NOT reinstall everything. Good luck from Oslo!
Actually, updating to 10.3.6 is suppose to fix this problem.... so I'd give that a try first....

However, just so you know, it does fix the Final Cut Pro HD quit, but gave a few people with certain firwire drives some problems.... where the drive wouldn't mount or show up on the desktop anymore.... so you might try www.macfixit.com first to see what drives are effected.

Hope that helps,

Greg
Well, for what its worth, turning off auto-save really seemed to help. No more quits. No matter what I've been doing. I may try 10.3.6, but since I am in a flow, I think I'll try a post-it with huge red letters that says "SAVE NOW!"

Thanks for the feedback.

David
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics