Physically challenged user - MouseKeys and FCE HD Help Please!

Posted by Jeff Castaldo 
Physically challenged user - MouseKeys and FCE HD Help Please!
March 27, 2006 09:57AM
I recently purchased and began learning FCE HD. I am a physically challenged user with no use of my arms and hands (quadriplegic). I use a mouthstick pointer and Mousekeys and Stickey Keys to operate mmy iMac G5. For those of you not familiar with these utilities (located in th Universal Access area of System Preferences), Mousekeys allows me to use the numbered keys of the numeric keypad to control my mouse actions, and Sticky Keys enables me to perform key functions that require me to press more than one key down at a time (you know, Command-Q, Option-1, etc.). I coul not operate my system without these utilities.

I am really upset to find that when using Final Cut Express, my system locks up regularly in. For example, I dragged some clips down into the time line, and whenever I went into that area to experiment and move the clips around, my mouse pointer and system would immediately lock. I couldn't do anything! I know that this problem is occurring because of Mousekeys because when I asked my friend to move the regular mouse around, it worked fine, and the system "unlocked". This is extremely frustrating to me because I depend on Mousekeys exclusively to operate my computer. When my sytem locks (whick it never has before this), I am unable to do ANYTHING if there is no one around to assist me, I just have to sit and wait. It really stinks!

I don't know what Apple technical support can do to assist me with this matter, but I definetly can not afford to pay the high prices they charge for support. I am hopeful that some of the users in this form will take a few minutes and give a shot at using the Mousekey feature so that you can see what I am talking about. Your finger will simulate my pointer. (Just please be sure to adjust the speed and acceleration settings so that you get used to using it before getting too aggravated).

I just forked out a good amount of cash to buy this program, and I will be pretty upset if I am unable to use it; not only because of the money I spent, but because I truly want to be able to use the program!

I will greatly appreciate any and all help in this matter.

Thanks and best regards,

Jeff Castaldo

Jeff
Maybe a bug but not sure but at very least try trashing your preferences and repairing permissions.

Here is how to trash prefs

[www.lafcpug.org]

here is how to repair permissions

[www.lafcpug.org]

If that doesnt work, write Apple and tell them your problem. Might indeed be a bug

[www.apple.com]

Re: Physically challenged user - MouseKeys and FCE HD Help Please!
June 07, 2006 07:13PM
I just tried working in FCP with Mousekeys on and it seems to work OK. No locking up on the timeline. I'm not sure how you actually select and drag anything, but the pointer moves freeley around in the timeline area.

Oh, wait, you use 5 to select. then another number key at the same time to drag in that direction. Neat.

Hope a pref trash helped. smiling smiley
Re: Physically challenged user - MouseKeys and FCE HD Help Please!
June 08, 2006 07:37PM
Jeff emailed me and said he got this resolved, so not a bug.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics